Jo's Reviews > Rules of Attraction

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: boy-crush, guilty-pleasures, ya, e
Read from December 06 to 08, 2011

If you haven't read
Perfect Chemistry by Ms Elkeles
... there may be spoilers ahead.

“Want to get in trouble with me, Carlos?”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
OK, so I have to admit I originally picked this book up with every intention of laughing at it as opposed to with it.
But Ms Elkeles definitely got the last laugh because this book and I had a whale of a time together and I'm thinking of proposing soon.
Also:
Some Things I Will Never Understand.
Why some girls (and some boys…) where leggings as pants. How they get the tiny writing to go all the way through Blackpool Rock. Dr Who. My 8 times table. Olly Murs. Why so many people prefer Perfect Chemistry over this book.
I don’t know whether I have to hand in my YA reader card in to someone or get a strike against my name or something… but I much much muuuuuch preferred this book.

High Points.
Carlos. Kiara. Being a badass. Perky privates. Shared bathrooms. Mountain walks. Homecoming dances. Lake side canoodles. Magnetic cookies. Chicas. Cowboys. The Ultimate Queers. Mr Westford’s Home for Wayward Boys. Swapping germs.

Low Points.
I didn’t really like the whole gangbanger (LOL) thing in this book. In Perfect Chemistry it worked with Alex’s character but with Carlos it just seemed like Ms Elkeles was like “Meep, we need more angst. I know… I’ll add a gang! That worked for the first one!”
Also… the whole pretend boyfriend/girlfriend thing. I have no idea why Carlos and Kiara did that at all. It just seemed a bit random….
I probably don’t need to tell you that the epilogue made me want to claw my eyes out but not as much as the first one.

Hero.
Hola Carlos.
Oh wait… sorry, I know you don’t like white kids try and sound Mexican. I’m sorry but you might have to get over that if we’re going to hang out because I like to pretend I’m Mexican on a regular basis.
I thought you were going to be a mini-version of Ale-ale-Alejandro but, by gum, was I wrong about you!
Maybe I have a defective girl gene because Alex never did anything for me but Carlos, amigo… sorry friend… you were a million times better. Especially in this book because yawn, Alex. Have you always been so dull?
I thought you were a much more entertaining narrator than your older hermano brother. Where he was funny, you were hysterical. Where he was a bit cheeky, you were a full on rummon. Where he was cute with Brittany, you were a bona fide BOTS (Bringer of the Swoon) with Kiara.
Also you said things like this:

“Ever since I got fired from the sugar mill two months ago, I’ve lived la vida loca.”

“Whether Alex wants to admit it or not, being a badass is my legacy.”

“Hell, I could write a book on kissing chicas if I wanted to.”

(For the record, I would be all over that book like a rash.)

PERFECTO.
I mean… um perfect.
So yeah, whatever with your Ale-Ale-Alejandro.
I’m a Carlos girl, through and through.

Heroine.
And so, it seems, is our Kiara.
Oh what a little sweetheart.
I wish my occasional stutter was as endearing as yours. I also wish I had a sexy Latina in the next room that walked around in his undies… maybe one day.
I was nervous about you when I read the synopsis.
Oh she’s shy. Oh and she has a stutter. Oh and she wears oversized t-shirts. She’s really awkward. And don’t even mention the fact that she has a ponytail… eeerrrurrgh. What kind of self-respecting girl wears a ponytail?!
But don’t worry because a sexy Latina is going to bring her out of her shell.
So what did our sexy Latina do to bring Kiara out of her shell?
Nada.
Sorry…. Nothing.
Because she did it all on her own.
I loved that she gave as good as she got and never let Carlos get away with crossing the line. Also, even though I kinda wanted a make-over scene, I liked that Kiara didn’t change anything about herself and Carlos didn’t push it.
He didn’t make her change out of her oversized t-shirts and tell her she had car grease all over her face and he only asked her to put on high heels because he’s a bit of a perve. But that’s why we love him!
Also, I loved how she was just as naughty as Carlos.
That bit in her parent’s living room?!
Eh up.
You know what they say about the quiet ones….we’re awesome.

Theme Tune.
Ego by Beyonce.

“I want to make sure Kiara’s got a boyfriend who has more to offer than a hot bod and a face that could make angels weep.”

LOL.
Oh Carlos, I love your ego.
AlsoBeyoncelookssofitinthisvideoitmakesmewanttocry.

Sadness Scale.
3/10.
Unless you find all the Alejandro and Brittany ANGST seeping into this story heart breaking you’ll be absolutely fine.
Although…. There is a brief mention of Paco.
PACOOOOO.

Recommended For.
People who were born to be a badass. People who think that just kissing in the rain is too tame. People who like orange marmalade cookies. People who will never stop using random Spanish words incorrectly in conversation.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting things on my blog here.
29 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Attraction.

12/06/2011 ""I've lived la vida loca" .... Guess what song is now embedded in my soul just before bed. :-|" 3 comments
12/07/2011
7.0% ""...if any guy threatened her she'd probably suffocate him with her oversized tee." Pahahaa." 1 comment
12/07/2011
27.0% "Horizontal tango...." 4 comments
12/08/2011
60.0% ""la tengo dura" *snigger* learning Spanish is fun."

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 20: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity I know everyone has been hanging out for this ;)

message 19: by Catie (new)

Catie I know you were being sarcastic but I actually have. Bring on the mockery and hot guys! I love you two...you have the best readalongs.

message 18: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity hahaha oh Catie, bring it we shall, or fail miserably and quietly leave.

message 17: by Catie (new)

Catie And then I'll cry.

message 16: by Flannery (last edited Dec 06, 2011 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flannery ...just stalking by.

message 15: by Jo (last edited Dec 07, 2011 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Flann just came for the chichis.

I'm at 5% btw wanna hear my prediction? (view spoiler)

Carlos has just said that poor Kiara is ugly because she has her hair in a ponytail.
:-|
I bet she has glasses too.
Those girls are the worst.

message 14: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo OMG I hope there is gonna be a make over in this book.

She could take off her glasses and take her hair out of her ponytail and be truly beautiful and Freddie Prinze Jr could fall in love with her.

Um... wait....

Flannery I love that part in Not Another Teen Movie--fast forward to a minute in

message 12: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo LOL

GLASSES AND A PONYTAIL!

message 11: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Uh oh... there's 'mischief and flirting' laced into his voice.

message 10: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity I don't know why (view spoiler)

message 9: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I really hope that's true, Trin.
That would be splendid.
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I want you to catch up... I HAVE SO MANY THEORIES.

THEORIES.

message 7: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity (view spoiler)

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin Haha, this series is interesting to me because it looks awful but it gets so many good reviews...

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Hahaha... it is kinda awful but it's the good kind of awful, if that makes sense?

It's the perfect series to just switch off your brain and read.
I enjoyed this one so much more than the first one, but I'm one of the few!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Oh yeah, I know just what you mean. ;)

Those books are always a fun break from the heavy stuff.

Devyani your review.
is so freaking awesome !
i feel like reading the book all over again :D

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Thanks Devyani! You definitely should.
I had lots of fun with this book :D

message 1: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity Yay awesome review! I know I didn't get the fake date either, what was the point you two, deary me.