Niral's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Jun 12, 2008

Read in August, 2012

Elusive, complex, moral, and full of wonder: this book has a visceral quality that I found difficult to parse. What I find most appealing about Murakami's bigger novels is that they manage to interweave copious detail and stories on sub-stories without feeling dense. Somehow, like a puzzle, they fit together. The only reason Wind-Up Bird didn't get '5 stars' was that I felt that it could have been a little tighter in places. Maybe the idea was for the reader to empathize with the narrator's lethargy, but I didn't find reading those parts as interesting. This was the first Murakami novel I read almost ten years ago, and haven't since read most of his oeuvre, it was fun to go back to it. Being more acquainted this time with the author's fantastical style, I was less distracted by the bizarreness of the plot and could delve more into the actual themes of the story. In a few years I imagine I'll be reading this one for a third time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.