Maxine's Reviews > City of Whispers

5208303
Dec 06, 11

liked it
Read in December, 2011

PI Sharon McCone receives an email from Darcy , her drug-addicted, mentally unstable half-brother. The email is short - 'Help me. I'm in SF'. Sharon emails him back but gets no reply. She assumes he just needs money but something about the message bothers her so she begins a search for him. Soon she finds herself involved in an old unsolved murder and there are some powerful people who will do anything to keep it that way.

City of Whispers is about families and the secrets they keep - some so terrible, people will kill to protect them. Somehow, Darcy has stumbled into one very deadly secret and Sharon must find him quickly if he isn't to become the next victim. Along the way, she will discover some secrets of her own family.

This novel is divided into three separate and alternating sections expressing three different points of view. Sharon's section is the first person, while Mick's (her assistant and nephew) and Darcy's are told in the third/ With Sharon, we get her concern for her family, while Mick's show his dislike of Darcy but his love for his job, and with Darcy, we see the confused and fractured thoughts of a man with mental and emotional problems.

It has been a few years since I reads a McCone mystery but I found it easy to pick up where I left off. Author Marcia Muller makes the characters complex and interesting enough that they remain memorable even after long absences. The mysteries are always intriguing but it is these characters which keep,the reader coming back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Whispers.