Chantal LeGendre's Reviews > The Last Gunfight: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral--And How It Changed The American West

The Last Gunfight by Jeff Guinn

Dec 17, 11

Read from December 06 to 17, 2011

Good read. Unromantized western history. Politics as usual. I love the fact that he makes it interesting to read about real people with less than romantic motives. We don't have to resort to unrealistic hero ideals to be entertained. There is a place for storytelling and for mythical stories to teach morals, but when they are used so much that we can't tell them apart from reality..we've got a problem. *spoiler alert* The best line of the book, the last paragraph "As for Wyatt Earp, who was both more and less than his legend insists, we can feel certain of this: He would be pleased by the way everything turned out, except for the fact that he never made any money from it." Hah! Classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Gunfight.

12/06/2011 page 1
0.0% "I'm reading this because Seth Macfarlane recommended it. I love history and anything about the old west. And macfarlane is hot."
12/08/2011 page 118
31.0% "Good, entertaining read. Being from Arizona, there's not a whole lot of new info so far. One thing we Arizonians know is our unromantized Tombstone history. Really enjoying the genre tho."
12/08/2011 page 227
59.0% "the criminals paid to get the right person in office. Ballots rigged, buying politicians..." Hmpt. There's nothing new under the sun."