Simon's Reviews > Sewer, Gas and Electric: The Public Works Trilogy

Sewer, Gas and Electric by Matt Ruff

Dec 12, 11

Read in January, 1997

This is a well written and enjoyable novel which is let down by too much happening in it. That may sound strange but for me there are too many principle characters to keep track of and too many secondary characters who appear and sometimes exist for a chapter and sometime appear much later in the book. This can be confusing for a simple reader like me. Coupled with a plot which is great science fiction but tends towards the fantastical in some cases and some foreshadowing which can pause for 100 odd pages before being revealed in the plot, it can become wearing. I recommend that you read it through once and leave it for a year and then read it again. You will enjoy it so much more. It is good, almost brilliant, but not perfect. I had the slight issue of reading it in 1997 and then again in 2011 with only three of the main plot elements remembered, so some of the other details came as a surprise and some were much more fondly remembered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sewer, Gas and Electric.