Miss's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Apr 29, 13

bookshelves: amazing-writing, beautiful-cover, favorites, heartbreaking-story, heavy-stuff, heroine, historical-fiction, history, made-me-cry, young-adult, war, holocaust, disturbing, girls-reading-together, realistic-fiction
Recommended to Miss by: <b>*buddy rereading with Tanja and Glass*</b>
Recommended for: everyone
Read from April 27 to 29, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

"Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth?
That morning, my brother´s was worth a pocket watch."

ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I´VE EVER READ!
Harsh, beautiful, sad, inspiring and utterly heart-breaking.
This story really moved me. When someone mentions World War II, we usually just think of what the Nazis and Hitler did but we should remember that the Soviets were just as bad.

Everyone who read and liked Anne Frank´s Diary should pick this book up.
Between Shades of Gray is powerful book and you will feel its emotional weight long after you turned the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.

Quotes Miss Liked

Ruta Sepetys
“He threw his burning cigarette onto our clean living room floor and ground it into the wood with his boot.
We were about to become cigarettes.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth? That morning, my brother's was worth a pocket watch.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Sometimes there is such beauty in awkwardness.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Good men are often more practical than pretty " said Mother. "Andrius just happens to be both.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Sometimes kindness can be delivered in a clumsy way.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Sometimes kindness can be delivered in a clumsy way. But it's far more sincere in its clumsiness than those distinguished men you read about in books. Your father was very clumsy.”

Ruta Sepetys
“November 20. Andrius's birthday. I had counted the days carefully. I wished him a happy birthday when I woke and thought about him while hauling logs during the day. At night, I sat by the light of the stove, reading Dombey and Son. Krasivaya. I still hadn't found the word. Maybe I'd find it if I jumped ahead. I flipped through some of the pages. A marking caught my eye. I leafed backward. Something was written in pencil in the margin of 278.
Hello, Lina. You've gotten to page 278. That's pretty good!
I gasped, then pretened I was engrossed in the book. I looked at Andrius's handwritting. I ran my finger over this elongated letters in my name. Were there more? I knew I should read onward. I couldn't wait. I turned though the pages carefully, scanning the margins.
Page 300:
Are you really on page 300 or are you skipping ahead now?
I had to stifle my laughter.
Page 322:
Dombey and Son is boring. Admit it.
Page 364:
I'm thinking of you.
Page 412:
Are you maybe thinking of me?
I closed my eyes.
Yes, I'm thinking of you. Happy birthday, Andrius.

Ruta Sepetys
“We'd been trying to touch the sky from the bottom of the ocean.”

Ruta Sepetys
“My husband, Andrius, says that evil will rule until good men or women choose to act. I believe him. This testimony was written to create an absolute record, to speak in a world where our voices have been extinguished. These writing may shock or horrify you, but that is not my intention. It is my greatest hope that the pages in this jar stir your deepest well of human compassion. I hope they prompt you to do something, to tell somone. Only then can we ensure that this kind of evil is never allowed to repeat itself.”

Ruta Sepetys
“I planted a seed of hatred in my heart. I swore it would grow to be a massive tree whose roots would strangle them all.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Sometimes there is such beauty in awkwardness. There's love and emotion trying to express itself, but at the time, it just ends up being awkward.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Whether love of friend, love of country, love of God, or even love of enemy—love reveals to us the truly miraculous nature of the human spirit.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Krasivaya. It means beautiful, but with strength. Unique.”

Ruta Sepetys
“Good men are often more practical than pretty.”
Ruta Sepetys, Between Shades of Gray

07/21/2012 "Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth? That morning, my brother´s was worth a pocket watch..."
07/21/2012 page 1
0.0% "This book took my breath away on the very firs page!!!"
07/21/2012 page 5
1.0% "(...)He threw his burning cigarette onto our clean living room floor and ground it into the wood with his boot.
We were about to become cigarettes.
"
07/21/2012 page 10
3.0% ""Mother, why are you breaking your beautiful things?" I asked.
She stoped and stared at the china cup in her hand.
"Because I love them so much."
"
07/21/2012 page 40
12.0% "Papa said scientists speculated that from the moon, the earth looked blue. That night I belived it. I would draw it blue and heavy with tears."
07/21/2012 page 55
16.0% "I planted a seed of hatred in my heart. I swore it would grow to be a massive tree whose roots would strangle them all."
07/21/2012 page 72
21.0% "Oh no! Not the baby!"
07/21/2012 page 192
56.0% "Oh God, spare him. He is so young, good and fool of life."
07/21/2012 page 192
56.0% "KOSTAS NOOOOO!!!
Their hope is gone now!
And what is with this Kretzsky guy?"
07/21/2012 page 316
92.0% "I'll cry a river of tears with this book...
<spoiler>She had a beautiful spirit...</spoiler>"
07/21/2012 page 319
93.0% "There were only two possible outcomes in Siberia. Success meant survival. Failure meant death. I wanted life. I wanted to survive."
07/21/2012 page 337
98.0% "Epilogue...OMG
They were not able to talk abouth what happened for fifty years!!!
The only positive thing in this book is Lina´s last name in the epilogue."
04/29/2013 marked as: currently-reading
04/29/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Pa ti ovo procitala prije nas! :D

Miss Hej draga. Na more nisam nosila komp, nego samo 2 knjige. Ovu sam imala, pa sam je ponijela. Knjiga je predivna, definitivno remek djelo, no nije literatura za ljeto jer su me suze gušile više više nego morska voda. Nadam se da se ne ljutite što sam požurila. Mogu je bez problema čitati ponovo, ja sam ionako mazohist.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Pa onda cu ja da je ostavim tamo za kasnije. Nesto sam citala par ovih malo tezih knjiga pa uh trebam odmora. Citacu sad Pushing the Limits! :) Amri se svidjela pa ce i meni.
Super imas knjigu svakako pa mozes opet s nama citati ;)

Miss Ma ovo je knjiga zaista umjetničke vrijednosti i baš mi je drago da sam je kupila. I to još za 4,5 eura!
Koja je to Pushing the Limits?

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Pa bas je jeftina! Vidjela sam ja da je prevedena, ali citacu je na engleskom :)

Ova Pushing the Limits...bila je na netgalley, vjerovatno ima i sad. Moram negdje naci ebook :)

Miss Ja sam je bila predbilježila i iskoristila akciju za Valentinovo. Zato mi je i bila tako jeftina. Sad je nešto malo skuplja, no ništa pretjerano. Prijevod planiram kupiti ujaku za rođendan. Oduševit će se.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Super! Sigrna sam da ce uzivati!! :)

Miss Hoće. On ima 58 godina. Invalid je i strastveni čitač, pogotovo povijesne literature. No nitko ga u zadrtom selu ne doživljava osim mene. Ja sam mu svaki rođendan, blagdan ili neku proslavu znala iskompletirati nekoliko povijesnih knjiga od Znanja. Da vidiš euforije! On sretan zbog knjiga, a ja zbog njega. Jedino svekrva ljuta jer će imati više materijala za brisati prašinu, ali tko ju šljivi!

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi A bas zvuci super!! Bas super od tebe!! :) Sigurno se puno obraduje jer znas i sama kakvi smo mi strastveni citaci kad dobijemo knjigu. Srecom pa Znanje izdaje te povjesne :) Hhahaha ma tako je, ko je sljivi! :)

message 10: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Znala sam da ćete vi to razumjeti. :)

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi Pa naravno ;)

message 12: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss ;D

Beatrix Baš mi je drago da je i tebe ova knjiga oduševila!! :)
Ovo mi je jedna od omiljenih i defitivno preporuka svima <3

message 14: by Miss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miss Definitivno me oduševila. Pod dojmom sam i uopće ne mogu sročiti nekoliko smislenih rečenica. Puno mi je "jača" od Dnevnika Ane Frank. Stavila sam si na to-read policu sve knjige slične tematike koje je autorica preporučila.

message 15: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina evo i ja je pročitala.. knjiga je stvarno vau.