Sam's Reviews > The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the History of Comic Book Heroines

The Supergirls by Mike Madrid

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, favorites, books-i-own, thanks-kim
Read from December 16 to 17, 2011

This was an intriguing read, and I owe a girlfriend of mine for sending it to me as a Christmas present. This book was clever and deconstructs the super-heroine from the 1940s to now. It's interesting to see the feminist, fashion and culture issues that many of our fave superbabes faced, and the author does a great job at putting this down on the table and admitting to the problem head on.

The writing wasn't always perfect, but I appreciated the way he introduced each era and heroine with just enough background knowledge for those of us who don't know every super-heroine under the sun. It's an interesting history, and one that is forever changing, so I appreciate what the thesis of this book is trying to do, and I think it argues itself exceptional well. My only complaint? Not enough discussion on lesbian!Batwoman, who in herself would be an nifty topic all her own. Highly recommend for those interested in geek history, comic books, or those just looking for something outside of their usual reading norm. There's lots to discover here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Supergirls.

12/16/2011 page 145