Tanja Berg's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from December 06 to 09, 2011

I picked this book up rather disillusioned and with a "I'm-not-sure-I'm-up-for-fantasy-right-now" feeling. Ten pages into the book all that was forgotten and I was completely hooked. This is fantastic storytelling! No pun intended.

Yeine Darr arrives to her grandfather's palace in the city of Sky. She is named heir to the throne - one of three. This is completely unexpected as Yeine's mother was cast out, disinherited and eventually murdered. All is not how it seems however and Yeine is deeply uncomfortable with the ruling style of her race, or at least, hear mother's side of it. There are gods in the castle, bound to earth in human form and made to serve the ruling family. This is the case because the ruling god has cast the other ones out and is calling them traitors. Yeine is warned not to tangle with the gods, but finds it impossible to resist. She is also intent on finding out what really happened to her parents, particularly her mother.

I thought this would be a power struggle between the named heirs. However, this is not the main aspect of the story. The center is the gods and what role Yeine is to have in the games they play. At some point in the middle of the book it is clear where Yeine is headed with her life and that is anything but fun. The enjoyment of the book takes a dip. The finale however, is stunning, took me unawares and redeemed the story. Well worth reading for fantasy fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

12/07/2011 page 49