Terri Kempton's Reviews > Palimpsest

Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente

Dec 06, 11

The underlying concept - a sexually transmitted city - is fascinating. Valente applies her sharp, rich prose to this most unusual premise and she delivers a truly unique reading experience. This is a strong book, and our main four characters are charmingly complex, desperate, real, flawed, and beautiful.

Some of the world-building aspects are similar in nature to the Orphan's Tales books; I haven't decided if I find that a strength to be so identifiable, or a weakness to have repetitive ideas. Both stories feature girls who are tattooed, and whose tattoos leave them as they complete their tasks (one, through telling stories; the other, by having sex). Both have rivers made of unlikely substances, with similar strange inhabitants and communities on their banks. Both feature chimeras, half human/half animals. Both have females in leadership positions, and both have beautifully strange religious devotees. But the similarities end there: at the heart of it, this is a book about the many faces of sex. Up to a point, it's a very sex positive story - we see passion, and real connection, and a beautiful eroticism that stands as a gate to the city. I love her understanding of fluid sexuality and identity! This turns uglier as passion becomes desperation, and became surprisingly sex negative about halfway through. It's rough, folks. It was a joy to read Valente's celebration of friendship and erotic play return towards the end, albeit with a very different understanding.

I really liked this book. It's not my favorite Valente, but she created an awesome and ambitious concept and was able to bring it home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palimpsest.