Mandy White's Reviews > I Zombie I

I Zombie I by Jack Wallen

Dec 26, 11

Read from December 06 to 12, 2011

A dizzying experience!

First of all, if you have this book, then you’re going to need the next two in the series as well. You might as well go ahead and buy them now because when you finish this one you aren’t going to want to wait for the next.

I Zombie I is the start of the most amazing zombie trilogy I have read so far. It puts a unique twist on a favorite genre by telling the story from the point of view of the zombie, or rather, the man who is turning into a zombie. The story begins when journalist Jacob Plummer wakes up in a post-apocalyptic world; transformed overnight by a major catastrophic event. He inevitably encounters people who have been transformed into terrifying monsters and becomes the recipient of a bite that triggers the transformation in him. He resolves to document as much of the event as possible…for as long as he possibly can.

This book was a dizzying experience, starring a cast of brilliant characters; courageous heroes who will stop at nothing to survive and an insidious villain with layer after layer of deceit thinly concealed by his human façade. And of course, zombies – wave after relentless wave of violent, insatiable undead who give characters and readers alike very little time to breathe.

I had one small complaint, but it’s strictly a matter of personal taste. A vital part of the plot involves the romance that develops between the two main characters, Jacob and Bethany. The intense passion that builds between these two individuals is almost a tangible thing, from the reader’s perspective, but…

I was slightly disillusioned at the lack of a sex scene and was left wondering…did they or didn’t they…or did I miss it? Until the end of course, when an important revelation confirms it. Even without sordid details, I would have liked their intimate encounter to have been a little more distinct. Still, I didn’t feel that small detail was worth a rating less than five stars.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Zombie I.