Allison's Reviews > The Chosen One

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-realistic-fiction, diversity, mystery-suspense, tween, ya-teen
Read in April, 2012

The Chosen One was a really good, incredibly suspenseful book. And the subject matter turned out to be so much more serious that I thought it was going to be! I knew the basic plot - that Kyra had grown up in an isolated polygamist community and finds out she was "chosen" to marry her 60 year old uncle and will be forced to do so unless she can escape. But I didn't realize the lengths to which the community leaders would go to keep her from leaving. Williams creates a really claustrophobic atmosphere that helps ratchet up the tension, and I couldn't put the book down because I had to find out what Kyra would do to get out of this situation.

Probably one of the things that I appreciated most about this book was that although Kyra's trying to escape from the community of The Chosen Ones, Williams is careful not to be too judgmental. Kyra's family is very loving and obviously cares for her a great deal. Williams shows that if Kyra hadn't been chosen to marry her uncle she might have been fairly happy living her life within this community.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen One.