Michele's Reviews > Life Laughs: The Naked Truth About Motherhood, Marriage, and Moving On

Life Laughs by Jenny McCarthy

Jun 27, 2007

Read in November, 2006

Girls Night Out

Like the author, Jenny McCarthy, I was also raised Catholic in a Chicago suburb and attended Southern Illinois University. This is what compelled me to read Life Laughs, her third book. She starts out the essay collection with a warning, preparing readers for her "honesty," as she discusses a variety of personal topics in a brash, "crude, raw, and sometimes dirty" manner. Truly, it's an honest description of her simple, conversational writing.

The first three quarters of the column-like compositions focus on marriage, and there are several woman vs. man scenarios typical to new relationships. As the marriage ages, the child is born, body parts start to sag, and then one day she rolls over in bed "and saw a nose with hair sticking out that was snoring with some pretty bad morning breath." There's no linear pattern to the collection, it's sort of random and all over the place, as Jenny goes places others fear to tread. Not knowing what to expect on the next page (a page that might include a caricature of Jenny falling into a toilet) added to the entertainment.

Throughout the hour or so it took me to read this bawdy little book, I felt like I was out for drinks with my funniest friends (it wasn't the book club, but definitely the bunco group) and even though I laughed out loud a few times, I have to admit, this gal also managed to bring out my inner prude. "Life Laughs," by Jenny McCarthy is for 30-something women the way "I Feel Bad About My Neck," by Nora Ephron is for 50-something women. She reminds us of the importance of laughing at ourselves, and she's willing to bare it all--even a seeming underlying pain--to do so.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Laughs.