Michael's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

This book is a bit too excessive; like most other people I think it could have had at least 300 pages removed without affecting the story. At times it gets really repetitive; like the author has thought the reader has already forgetting information about Aomame or Tengo. 1Q84 is the story of two people who meet and fall in love in school and then, many years later spend the entirety of the book trying to find each other again. As the story obviously isn’t as simple as that; it is fair to say it is very weird and probably what you expect from Haruki Murakami. I’ve not read anything else from him and I don’t pretend to understand the genre Magical Realism but this book was indeed somewhat enjoyable to read.

I mentioned that this book was everything you’d expect from Murakami and that I’ve never read anything by him before. But I do know of his works and I’ve seen the movie adaptation of Norwegian Wood so I had a decent idea of what I was getting into. But I didn’t except what I got. As the story unfolds and you get a better understanding of Aomame and Tengo, you can’t help but love these two characters with all their flaws, quirks and of course their personalities.

While this book was way too long, I am very glad to have read this book and to dive into the parallel world of 1Q84. I do feel more of a book snob for reading this and I think I will have to read some more from this weird author. For people looking for a great but odd story about two people and have a lot of time to spare, then I would suggest this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

04/10/2012
04/17/2012
65.0% "Downward slope now; on book 3"
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 14: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby interesting that this was your first experience of Murakami. why did you choose this one? it's so big!

i guess reading ebooks reduces the psychological impact of seeing such a huge book.

Michael There has been a lot of hype about this book since the release and I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. I figured I had a week off from work, now was my chance to tackle this book.

message 12: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby yeah i'm pretty impatient to read this one but i'm happy to wait for a smaller format than what's currently available.

although i would love to get it in three paperback parts as it was released in Japan.

Michael I believe you need to wait till may 15th; http://bookriot.com/2012/04/18/seriou...

message 10: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby holy moly! pre-ordered! hooray! excitement builds exponentially for the next month. thanks for the heads up.

Michael that boxset does look good

message 8: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby I saw a similar one for Roberto Bolaño's 2666 last year in a secondhand shop and instantly regretted not getting it. It is rare to find beauty in modern book binding/production. At least when it comes to fiction anyway.

Michael I do like the hardcover of this book but it's rather big

Flash Beagle Hi - The cover is great, that sheer vellum look, and the opening pages are like the beginning of a movie; lots of effort put into the design.
I read it last year and it was one of my favorites for 2011. It is a long book yet at the same time I've read books that were shorter and seemed longer. Murakami explores similar themes in other works and his memoir What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is a short engaging read.

message 5: by Prashant (new)

Prashant Nice review KL.

Michael Prashant wrote: "Nice review KL.

I will take your suggestion and will avoid this one for now. Will go for some other work of Murakami! :)"

Maybe a shorter one to begin with

message 3: by Prashant (new)

Prashant I have the Bird Chronicle in my shelf.

That one seems to be harmless! Maybe you can give it a try too.

Michael I will, people always recommend that one

Patricia I agree with the your comment: "At times it gets really repetitive; like the author has thought the reader has already forgotten information about Aomame or Tengo. I loved the first third of the book and then it started to become harder to stay interested in the characters lives. Then about halfway in, I figured that I might as well finish it since I had already put so much time into it. But sorry to say..I couldn't do
it. I just turned one page and said, "Enough is enough" and stopped. I didn't even put it back on the shelf to read later, I knew I wouldn't. I took it to a second hand store, where hopefully for the author, someone else will have more patience than I did.