Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Graveminder

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: want-to-buy
Read from January 07 to 10, 2012

The Good Stuff

Truly unique idea for a story
Rebekkah is an intriguing and realistic heroine
Dark with a wonderful almost Gothic like feel to it
Descriptions are vivid and make you feel like you are part of the landscape
Fabulous in terms of character development
Lots of twists and turns which keeps you guessing (but not in a frustrating way)
Could not put the book down, I warn you once you start you will not be able to put down -- well unless its really late at night
Marr has created a fantastical world unlike anything I have ever read before - and it actually feels like a real place
Very suspenseful at times -- you will be holding your breath
Enjoyed the secondary characters - especially Amity
Fabulous ending - could lead to a sequel, but if not still leaves you satisfied
Some nice humour added to keep it from being too dark

The Not So Good Stuff

The cover sucks in comparison to the hardcover edition
The angst between Bek and Byron felt more YA than adult

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"At the end of the tunnel, she gasped. The colors she could see were so vibrant that it almost hurt to look around her. The sky was streaked in violet and gold. The buildings around her were breathtaking. Even the drabbest of them was cloaked in shades of colors that surely couldn't exist."

"He was tempting in the way that she imagined the devil himself-if there was such a man-would be: polished charm, wicked smiles, and easy arrogance. However, she wasn't sure what game he was playing, and the idea of looking at at dead man with any sort of lustful thoughts seemed inherently twisted."

"Sheer foolishness, if you ask me,but" - Elaine gave Rebekkah a look that would make most people flinch -"no one's asking me, are they?"

"No," Rebekkah said. "I don't think anyone's asking."

Elaine sighed. "Well, sooner or later, one of you will be bright enough to ask my opinion."

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

YA friendly - nothing too violent or sexual
If you like creepy stories, this is for you
Adult readers may be disappointed by all the angst

4.75 Dewey's

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graveminder.

01/07/2012 page 10