Sera's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: own, favorites, science-fiction
Read from April 19 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

I hadn't read a King book in over 20 years, but 11/22/63 made it worth the long wait. For likely King, too, since he first started writing this book in 1972 but stopped because Kennedy's assasination had devastated the author. Plus, he wanted to do much research before writing this book. I'm glad that he waited to finish the story until last year, because the amount of information around the assasination that has developed since then made this book a richer experience for me as a reader.

The book presents the classic question about whether if someone had the chance to go back and to change history would she? The more specific question resolves around stopping the assasination of John F. Kennedy. However, King just doesn't focus on this aspect of the story. There are many layers to the story and many questions about time travel and history that King tackles head on and in a contemplative way. I very much appreciated the thoughtfulness that King brought to the subject matter, identifying many details that one might lose track of when traveling back to the 1960s. The plot is also well-thought out and crafted, which made the story not only plausible, but also exciting to the reader as King answers the "what if?" question.

The ending was satisfying to me but I didn't feel that King knocked it out of the park like he had the rest of the book. In my reading the Notes, we find out that King changed the ending based upon input from his son, Joe Hill. I like reading Joe Hill, but now I am curious to know what King's ending would have been.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. It's neither standard science fiction nor standard King, at least not the King that I knew 20+ years ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

04/23/2012 page 325
38.0% "Excellent so far."
show 1 hidden update…

Marialyce I loved this book!

Sera Oh my goodness, by far the best King that I have read it. So glad to hear good things from you, too.

Marialyce Sera, yes, it is quite a different approach for him and I think he got it just right. I recently read his Under the Dome and Duma Key and liked both. They are more Stephen Kingish, but I enjoyed them both too!

Sera I haven't read King in 20 years, but I'm pleased to see where his writing has gone. I'm going to have to check out the two books that you had mentioned. I also heard that the Tower series is quite good, too.

Marialyce Last one I read before 11/22/63 and the two I mentioned was It and then I too quit him for a long while. I am glad he is back in a sense and I did hear that series was good too. Just too many books and my reading has fallen away to nothing since I have been away.

Back in the groove next week! :)

Sera You'll get back on track quickly I'm sure.

message 7: by MichelleCH (new) - added it

MichelleCH Convinced, another TBR!

message 8: by Sera (last edited May 03, 2012 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera Oh, I think that you will like this one, Michelle. Very different from the time travel adventures of our friends in the Outlandler series - lol. I know how much you loved that one.

I'll tee up Cannery Row for June.

Marialyce Oh I adore Steinbeck.....Cannery Row is a Great book....

message 10: by Sera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera That's what I've been hearing, Marialyce. Steinbeck is my favorite author so I'm trying to get through some of his canon as part of my Mount TBR challenge.

Marialyce Have you read East of Eden? Fantastic! and Cannery Row made me cry my eyes out.

message 12: by Sera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera EOE is my favorite book of all time.

Marialyce Sera wrote: "EOE is my favorite book of all time.

Did you know that Steinbeck wrote a follow-up to Cannery Row? It's Sweet Thursday."

Well, no, I didn't....and guess who is headed to the library in just about five minutes? :)
I did read his The Wayward Bus a bit ago, which was I believe an earlier book. Not too many people have heard of that one. I loved it.....

message 14: by Sera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera I've heard good things about that one as well, even though it is one of his lesser known works.

message 15: by MichelleCH (new) - added it

MichelleCH Sera wrote: "Oh, I think that you will like this one, Michelle. Very different from the time travel adventures of our friends in the Outlandler series - lol. I know how much you loved that one.

I'll tee up C..."