Naomi's Reviews > The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems by Keith Douglas

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: study, un-finished
Read from December 06, 2011 to February 07, 2012

Despite marking this book as read I'm still putting it on the un-finshed shelf. I only read about 25% of the book but plan to read more of the poems in the future. I think it's strange that a person could read a whole collection of poems as they do a novel. Poems are for dipping into, for studying and for relating to your particular mood.

I think Douglas is seriously underrated as a writer. I'm so surprised that barely anyone has heard of him. I think his poems are brilliant and a bit of a sigh of relief from the types of war poetry I'm used to studying. This collection is a mix of war, life, love, women, sex and growing up and it's a perfect collection. These poems span from a time when Douglas was only my age to when he died aged 24 and it intimidates me that he was able to get so much from the world at that time.

For my coursework essay I focused mostly on the poems about women and love like The Knife, Invaders, and Cairo Jag. All fantastic poems but I think The Knife has to be one of my absolute favourites. I find it hard to rate and recommend poetry because it's so different to every person but I really feel that more people should know about Douglas, he really is a fantastic writer and had he lived longer he would have become one of Britain's best poets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Poems.