Bee's Reviews > Boys of Summer

Boys of Summer by Cooper Davis

Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: favorites, gay-for-you, kindle, m-m, passion-erotica, romance, stuck-in-the-closet, travel
Read in December, 2011

Usually when I rate a book 5 stars I will have gone all ”YES!” from the very beginning of reading…not this time…it was more…”Um, no!” but then it became…”hmmm”…and “aaaahhh, ok”…and finally a loudly ringing “YEAH!” It was really different…but in the end it totally won me over.

Hunter and Max have been together for a while, but while Max is gay and out Hunter have been straight all his life…until he laid eyes on Max. Now they’re off in Florida on vacation and they make an agreement. Hunter promises to commit to their relationship fully and out themselves to their friends…in turn Max will finally give Hunter his virginity. They will both agree to be brave and take the leap of faith. Hunter’s just not sure if they’re both brave enough…

This starts up in the middle of a relationship…and since my favorite part often is the falling in love I was disappointed…but then we get glimpses of the past woven into the story in a beautiful way, so instead the starting point created a nice flow in the story. By not having to jump forward in time the story is connected in a better way, so in general I really liked the disposition of the story and felt it contributed to the quality of it.

I love the characters, and I love the first person perspective. The language was really great; I enjoyed the prose and the dialogues. It was short, but it was poignant and well told. Especially the description of anxiety and the mental anguish that Hunter struggles to deal with was so touching, I could relate very well. I was really moved by the story and it made me want to read the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boys of Summer.