Jana's Reviews > LIGHTMASTERS: Number 13

LIGHTMASTERS by M.G. Wells

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: favorites, mystery, indie-authors, adventure, fantasy, mg-wells
Read from December 12, 2011 to January 25, 2012

I read LightMasters twice and enjoyed it both times. The book is definitely geared for younger readers ages around ages 8-14 or anyone who may resonate with this kind of story. In my opinion so many YA books are more like adult books these days, so I was pleased to discover this unique book on GoodReads. Also, there were not a lot of distracting back stories which often make me lose interest in books. The book is written in first person, so prepare yourself for entering the mind of a tormented young lady, who feels like an outcast and totally misunderstood.

I could relate to Jessica's angst about losing her parents and being forced to live with her elderly grandparents, who are the funniest characters in the book. Her character was clearly defined and made sense since she was uprooted from her cozy life in Georgia to a small town in Upstate New York. Through Jessica's eyes, the author pays great attention to detail of the setting. It's obvious to me this new life is uncomfortable for her, and she just cannot adapt or relate to it. Her intellect is above average, and she is lumped into a high-school crowd that is too sophisticated for her. She is somewhat of a tomboy and a loner who doesn't have the emotional skills to relate to the older kids. Despite her internal rage, I found her a bold, likeable character.

The tale starts out on Jessica's 13th birthday. She feels very sad that her grandparents and Georgian friends forgot her. From her bedroom window she reflects briefly about her deceased parents, who were university professors. When an unusual light suddenly appears, Jessica's interest is piqued and she goes outside to investigate. Lured by the light, she finds herself in the forest adjacent to her grandparent's house, where she meets three magical beings who call themselves LIGHTMASTERS. These mystical characters are well defined in appearance, yet remain mysterious in nature. The lead Lightmaster explains to Jessica she has a special destiny. Soon afterwards, she is transported to another dimension and does not understand why. In this dimension, Jessica is faced with many unusual, life-threatening encounters with strange, magical beings who challenge and irritate her. The landscape of this dimension is so rich, I felt like I was transported there.

When Jessica returns to back to her usual reality, she finds that she has changed. She starts experiencing unusual dreams and physical sensations that frighten her. At school she is horrified when people appear to her as hideous monsters. This is where the story gets tricky. Jessica's reality becomes so surreal even she doesn't understand what is happening to her. The characters and setting of her school are well defined. After many unsettling encounters with her older peers, teachers, and the alien monster, she panics. Unable to deal, Jessica journeys to her home in Georgia, where she believes she will feel safe. During this adventure, she meets up with more amusing, scary and memorable characters.

After returning to her childhood home, she finally realizes she cannot escape her destiny and commits herself to the Lightmaster alliance, whose main goal is to get rid of the monster feeding off of the hate and fear of humanity. In the finale, Jessica decides to embrace her light and does her part to force the alien menace to another dimension where it cannot harm anyone.

This was a fast-paced read with an original plot and many interesting characters from an array of various cultures. Ultimately, I feel the author is stressing the important of choosing love over fear. It's a heady, clean read, which means no sex, vulgarity, or extreme violence. I will admit the book is left wide open in certain areas and leaves many unanswered questions, which I liked. Life is messy and this story emphasizes it to the extreme. Ultimately, this book inspired me, and I hope to see a follow-up. I highly recommend Lightmasters: Number 13 to anyone who enjoys a unique, exciting adventure that makes you think about the importance of embracing love over hate/fear and that anything in life is possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read LIGHTMASTERS.

12/12/2011 page 103

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jana To all my friends, I highly recommend you check out this book. Happy Holidays!

RedMum Great review, Jana. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Cheers!

Toni So far, I'm liking it. Happy 2012!

Jana Great and same to you!

Roberta Great review. Couldn't agree more.