Feathzzz's Reviews > The Mark of the Horse Lord

The Mark of the Horse Lord by Rosemary Sutcliff

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: favorites, action, british-historical-fiction, historical-fiction, romance, dark-ages, roman-empire
Read from December 05 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

Interesting. The strongest point had to be the pervasive mood; it was fresh being a kind of lurking dark-wild-pagan amorality. I really liked it and found it highly immersive. The description was just so strong; heady, vivid atmosphere and action sequences brought the story to life. Overall very skillful writing made it an enjoyable read, although I have to say I wasn’t hearing the voice very much, that would probably have to be the weakest point. Maybe a combination of a weaker voice to begin with added to the fact that Pheadrus isn’t exactly my kind of hero, I’m not so charmed by that cocky swagger, although I understand that was just extendtionalized style. His character could be profound and powerful at times. Interesting, rounded, and well-developed but not exactly my taste. It’s not that I disliked him; I just didn’t feel a distinct connection or evocation.

Still the book was generally very strong. I liked the romance and the way the relationship developed between Phaedrus and Murna, that was well done and precisely to my taste. Murna was a really cool character, she has a strong persona, cold, aloof, disdainful but was shown to be complexly real when her vulnerability comes to light, and even more strong as it was though her own exposure.

Loved the ending.

I thought about giving it four-star, it’s a very good book, but I just feel inclined to three. So my rating could be some personal reason but the book itself is very good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark of the Horse Lord.