Christy's Reviews > There You'll Find Me

There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: kindle, favorites
Read from March 30 to April 03, 2012

I just finished this book, and it's been a long time since I've been this impressed with every aspect of a book like I was with this one. Jenny has managed to write a witty, sassy, yet quite painful, novel that had me on an emotional roller coaster that I didn't want to end.

From the beginning, I knew that Finley was a hurting soul. Her life was in shambles--the death of a brother, a stint in therapy, a semi-public image tainted--and God had never felt more distant. On top of her personal turmoil, the stress she was under to complete a musical piece for a prestigious audition was intense. But then she meets a boy. And not just any boy, either. This one was Beckett Rush...THE hottest young movie star on the Hollywood scene. And the funny part? She couldn't be less interested in him, which threw him for a big-time loop. Gradually, they become friends, then more than friends, and he slowly starts to break down her walls. Before too long, each one of them realizes things that they'd rather not face, yet know if they don't, their lives won't go any direction but downhill.

I've said it before...I wish books like this had been available when I was in the young adult stage. I found this story to be so honest and real. It was not a book I could wrap in a box with a fancy bow. There was no fluff. Instead, it was a brilliantly told, coming-of-age story that I will never, ever forget. Yes, there was wit, sass and snark, but there was also pain, loss, and deep emotional hurt. I found myself laughing along with Finley as she verbally sparred with Beckett (considering he had met his match there), and on the flip side, reaching for the Kleenex when Finley succumbed to her lowest point and realized that God had been right by her side all along. She had just filled her life with so much noise that she couldn't hear God's voice. That was my "aha" moment right there because I have done that very thing more times than I can count. Like Finley, I think that if I can just do this one task, or wrap up this one commitment, or help this one person, I'll have accomplished something really great. It becomes all-consuming, and I lose sight of the things that are eternally important.

But...

Leave it to a novel to bring my focus back where it needs to be. Thanks for that, Jenny. :o) Thanks for using all those editors and going through all those rough drafts (as you mentioned in your acknowledgments) to get this story just right.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There You'll Find Me.

Quotes Christy Liked

Jenny B. Jones
“What is it you want, Finley Sinclair?"
Some peace. Some healing. To hear God's voice again.
I wanted to find my brother's Ireland. To put it into song.
And I wanted my heart back.
"I'll know it when I find it." I looked past Beckett and into the night sky. "Or when it finds me.”
Jenny B. Jones, There You'll Find Me

Jenny B. Jones
“When I get to heaven one day, I'm going to ask God how it's possible that time moves so much quicker on the weekends than on school days.”
Jenny B. Jones, There You'll Find Me