Linda's Reviews > Where Are You Now?

Where Are You Now? by Mary Higgins Clark

Dec 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, mystery-thriller
Read on December 04, 2011

Absolutely classic Mary Higgins Clark, incorporating all I have come to expect from one of her books: an intriguing, page-turning plot, crisply written scenes, a fair number of plausible suspects to keep you guessing, and a perfectly frictionless reading experience that lets me blaze through the story in a single sitting.

I hadn't read a Mary Higgins Clark book in years -- and now, she's got so many of them I couldn't even begin to remember which of them I've read -- when a co-worker offered to pass along one she'd finished. As much as I love reading good non-fiction, and as many meaty titles as I've got waiting on my to-read shelf, sometimes you just need a simple, easy, fast-paced read to mix things up a bit. And I've learned that a Mary Higgins Clark book is guaranteed to be entertaining.

This one didn't disappoint, built around a surprisingly original plot conceit: a well-off, well-adjusted, well-liked young man simply walks away from his life one day, without warning or explanation. No trace of him can be found after his disappearance, but every year, once a year, he calls his family for the briefest of greetings -- on Mother's Day. Finally, after years of this, his sister decides she must renew the search for him, in the process uncovering more mysteries than she can solve, as her brother's case becomes intertwined with that of other people who go missing.

The resolution, when it comes, happens a bit too quickly, but nevertheless, caught me by surprise. Even for a lightweight mystery novel, I would prefer a bit more substance and content (see Tami Hoag) but I really can't complain too much about this one. I was looking for an easy, quick, fun read, and I got it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Are You Now?.