Heather's Reviews > The Unit

Dec 20, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: electronic, kobo, out-from-library
Read on December 20, 2011

I thought this had such a neat concept, not surprising since I'm nearly 40, childfree, and as a writer not exactly in the "crucial" category like doctors and nurses. :) 50+ women and 60+ men taken off to be research subjects and organ donors because they're dispensable - shocking but I can actually imagine it happening.

And I have to imagine it even after reading the book because it's not at all clear to me how it happened. I don't know whether it's only in Sweden, whether it's only single people or whether couples were taken to the Unit as well... I wanted to know these things and they're not there.

Perhaps because it's a translation, there's very little emotion and feeling in the book either. Main character Dorrit loves her dog, who she couldn't bring with her (not clear why, though, since in all other ways the Unit is a paradise), and her memories of him are sweet and touching. Otherwise, though, I didn't connect with her or the other people in the Unit at all.

I'm the type who cries at mushy TV commercials. I didn't even get choked up once with this book. No connection.

I would love to see the concept reused by someone who could really dig into the dispensables' thoughts and feelings beyond the most superficial, but this book just didn't give me the depth I craved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unit.

12/20/2011