Amanda Croley's Reviews > Sweet as Sin

Sweet as Sin by Inez Kelley

Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: 5-star
Read in December, 2011

I'm not sure if this is a five star book in general, or just for me. I laughed, cried, loved, and lost. Those emotions experienced by myself, as the reader make it a five star book in my opinion. Was it a great literary masterpiece? Not by a long shot, but I would recommend it.
John, a successful writer, is surprised when he meets his hot new neighbor Livvy. Attraction is not enough to describe what they instantly felt. John makes things very clear that he is in no way looking for anything but fun. After thinking it over, Olivia decides that she deserves to have a good time, and gives in to the summer fling. Olivia quickly learns that John has a lot of skeletons in the closet, and like most women, she wants to fix his problems. John can't understand why he enjoys Livvy's company outside of the bedroom, because it's a feeling he has never experienced.

************************** Spoilers/ Recap ************************
After only one day of knowing one another, and after both agreeing to a SEXUAL relationship only, they both fly off the hook making wild assumptions when seeing the other with someone else. In both cases it was purely platonic, but if my sexy neighbor, whom I have known one day, shows up at my job pissed beyond belief, demanding we discuss his assumptions, I'm pretty sure I would call the police. Now of course I know that's how things work in the magical world of novels. Things that would be completely ridiculous, and stalkerish in real life are interpreted as love. Whatever, just on my soap box. That really is a very insignificant complaint, and no way takes away from the rest of the book. Now for the good stuff.. John's mother was a whore, and he has no idea who his father is. When he was small six or seven, cant remember, his mother married a preacher that was out to save her from her sinful ways. After his mothers death, Alan his step-dad, blamed John for the cancer that took her life. If it wasn't for his sinful conception, his mother wouldn't of had to suffer the taint on her soul. Of course, Alan was just an evil zealot, who enjoyed torturing a child. John made a promise to his mom, and took over the responsibility of raising/ protecting his sister after his moms death. He took the brunt of Alan's abuse to save his sister from experiencing it. One day, John came home to find Alan hurting his sister Gina, and that was the day he died. Of course he has crazy baggage now, and of course Livvy helps him overcome it so that they can live happily ever after.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet as Sin.