Chris Salisbury's Reviews > You Cannot Be Serious

You Cannot Be Serious by John McEnroe

U_50x66
Mar 04, 12

Read from December 05, 2011 to March 04, 2012

This book is an autobiography about one of the best tenis players of all time, John macenroe. This book surprised me with it's honesty. Like many biographies, I am astounded at the detail with which people can look back and remember their lives. This one was education about the history of tennis in my lifetime, and it involves tennis players I was familiar with in the 70s and 80s.Also in this book Macenroe talks a lot about his truobles and his anger issues on the court. I loved when he talked about this because a lot of tennis fans back then resented Macenroe for this and so when he explains his problems and says that hewas wrong for the things that he said and did it made me respect him much more as a player.
One thing i agreed with in this book is when Macenroe compliented his opponents constantly in this book. Instead of just talking about himself the whole time he did a great job of saying how it could go either way in a match between him and players such as Jimmy Connors or Pete Sampras. One thing i disagreed with in this book is when Macenrow was taliing about his regrets as a player, he carrer was way to good to regret doing things in it and his bad boy attitude is what made him a very famous figure on the tennis court.
I had some low opinions of McEnroe as a player, but think he is the best commentators and players the sport ever had. This book helped me respect him much more as a person and as a player. I highly REcommend this book because i think people will find John Macenroe speaking from the heart very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Cannot Be Serious.