Gary the SophistiCat's Reviews > March

March by Geraldine  Brooks

May 04, 13

In March, Geraldine Brooks imaginatively writes a back story for Little Women by turning a beloved children's novel into an adult tour de force. She takes on many of the critical social issues facing Americans in the Nineteenth Century and weaves them into the lives of the fictitious March family.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The mostly absent father from Little Women takes center stage and confronts the prevailing moral crisis of the day-slavery and the abolitionist response. Real historical figures are introduced and the interaction between fact and fiction makes for an unforgettable reading experience. This is outstanding historical fiction.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read March.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Such an insightful review. I think I'll try to find my old copy and reread it. Thanks!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim A great succinct review, Gary. I've just finished reading March and wrote a long and rather rambling review. However, your review says everything which needs to be said about this excellent book.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne They say, one picture is worth a thousand words. With your new skill, your reviews are getting longer. Haha!

Gary the SophistiCat Suzanne wrote: "They say, one picture is worth a thousand words. With your new skill, your reviews are getting longer. Haha!"

I've always been more visual than auditory. That probably explains why I'm slow to embrace audio books. Finding the pictures is fun.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm much more auditory than visual. If I really want to concentrate, I find it best to close my eyes. However, this is not recommended while driving. Or walking. Or doing most things other than sleeping. I closed my eyes a lot when I was at university. Some lecturers probably thought I was sleeping. But no.....

Gary the SophistiCat Kim wrote: "I'm much more auditory than visual. If I really want to concentrate, I find it best to close my eyes. However, this is not recommended while driving. Or walking. Or doing most things other than sle..."

Thanks for a wake-up chuckle. When I close my eyes I'm usually 10 seconds from dreamland.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I've heard of graphic violence , graphic sex, graphic novels and now Gary is learning the art of graphic reviews.

message 8: by Gary the (last edited May 04, 2013 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary the SophistiCat Do you think I need to find a different hobby? It's all Steve Jobs' fault for inventing the iPad... =>

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Whatever keeps you occupied, Gary!

Activities in old folks' homes are going to be very different in future. The next generation of occupational therapists will have to be incredibly tech savvy to keep up with all of Apple's switched on geriatric customers!

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is the next disease which will have to be conquered!

Gary the SophistiCat I'm turning all my reviews into cartoons but so far my wrists are strong!

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve I'd have commented earlier, but my Carpel Tunnel problems were flaring up and the mouse wasn't happening. :-)

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve p.s., Nice pictures, Gary. You'll be teaching the HTML class soon!

Gary the SophistiCat Steve wrote: "p.s., Nice pictures, Gary. You'll be teaching the HTML class soon!"

What HTML? I got an app called photobucket. It should be called Coding for Dummies!

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve I just meant the line that inserts the image into your text. Photobucket is great! And it looks like you're one dummy who's mastered the art.

Gary the SophistiCat I'm am completely flummoxed about spacing the image. (Something you've mastered, as I recall). Until I found Photobucket I was limited to images I found on Wiki. And it took me forever to figure out how to get a properly formatted image. I was tempted to call you-or Jason- for help but my Irish stubbornness carried me on. Thanks for the encouragement.=>

message 17: by Steve (new)

Steve I don't know anything fancy, Gary. In fact, you know more than me if you had a way of posting images without Photobucket.

Gary the SophistiCat My method for posting pictures is to keep clicking until something sticks. I call it Click-Stick-Lit!

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve And we classify your comment as Quick Wit Lit!

Gary the SophistiCat You were my inspiration: Remember Tick-Lit?

message 21: by Steve (new)

Steve Yes, though that was one where you kinda had to be there. :-)

Gary the SophistiCat As in timing is everything...

message 23: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope I am also very visual and like to illustrate my reviews... looking for the pictures is a lot of fun...

message 24: by Gary the (last edited May 05, 2013 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary the SophistiCat Kalliope wrote: "I am also very visual and like to illustrate my reviews... looking for the pictures is a lot of fun..."

Ahh, a kindred spirit. It is fun-and so easy. I'm trying to show some restraint because it's also easy to get carried away. You show taste and intelligence in your efforts. I hope I can do the same.

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark I loved the 'Little women', 'Good Wives' books when I was a lad, this sounds a fascinating filling out of the whole. Thanks.

Gary the SophistiCat Then you will love this. I hadn't read Little Women since my daughter was little-maybe 25 years ago- but I had seen the movie remake from the 1990's (with Winona Ryder) more recently. Ms Brooks does a tremendous job of resurrecting the March's in a way which seems authentic. She imagines a very plausible back story for them, especially Mr. March and Marmee, who really come alive in Brooks' version.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan do you have to have read Little Women to enjoy?