Kawai's Reviews > The Devil All the Time

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Feb 03, 12

it was ok
Read from December 05 to 12, 2011

The book was even darker and bleaker than I imagined, with barely any redemption present among the disturbed, violent, and unfortunate cast of characters. There is also an undertone of misogyny that I couldn't reconcile myself to--all sex that does happen is driven by hate, violence, and severe power imbalances. While the cast of characters is colorful (in its own warped way), I gave up caring about most of them when it was apparent their lives were headed nowhere but towards further misery, violence, and madness. What was the point of it all? Perhaps I missed something (I often do), but this just seemed like a better-dressed version of Steig Larsson's abominable MILLENNIUM trilogy.

Having said that, the language has its moments. The prose is spare and accurate, the narrator deftly authoritative and believable. One does get a very visceral sense of the environment and culture of the area, and it's not a part of the country one normally encounters as the backdrop for a book. Also, the book does read quickly...it held my attention the same way an impending car accident would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil All the Time.

Chad Your comparison to the Millennium trilogy seems rather off to me, but otherwise this review is spot on. I usually chafe when critics call a work misogynistic, but this is perhaps the most misogynistic novel I have ever read, and not just due to the sex. I am truly astounded by how highly it is rated on Goodreads.

Kawai It's a fair point; the Millenium Trilogy is probably not the best comparison.