Mitch's Reviews > A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World

A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: biographical, travel, nonfiction

I like Tony Horwitz's writing. I think he does a good job intertwining his trips, research and history reporting in an entertaining way and want to read more of his work.

But-

This book's subject is about early American History and the what the conquistadors and other adventurers did. The list of atrocities they committed in the name of God or Greed is extensive. They were a lot of lying, stealing, torturing, murdering, self-justifying, enslaving, raping, vandalizing, despicable men.

All this done due to their drive for riches- by their own free will, quite aside from the germs they accidentally released amongst the bio-defenseless natives. (They were quick to take advantage of these sicknesses too.)

While I liked the demythologizing Tony did, I was appalled by the inhuman behavior of the first Europeans here and it became quite depressing to read. I was happy to finish with this book and don't want to read more about this tragic topic again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voyage Long and Strange.