Mickey Reed's Reviews > The Name of the Star

bookshelves: 2011, audio
Recommended for: YA paranormal fans
Read from December 05 to 07, 2011 , read count: 1

See full review here!

I checked this book out from my local library. Here is my honest review:

This just wasn't everything I wanted it to be. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story. Maybe the narrator irritated me more than anything. But I guess I expected more after hearing so many good things about this book. And after reading her lighter, less traumatic Blue Envelope novels, I wasn't anticipating something quite this serious. I should have, since I knew this was about Jack the Ripper, but I wasn't expecting the ghost-police business. Note: this is because I do not read descriptions of most books before I read them. I was just not prepared.

Either way, like I said, I enjoyed this book. Rory was an alright MC, and maybe I wanted more from the little side love story, but that's okay. Her friends were fun and interesting, and Johnson always as a way of adding the hilarity to her novels (see Claudia, Charlotte, and Boo). Plus, Johnson's ability to describe places always make me want to go there. I feel like the Blue Envelope novels are better examples, but this made me want to go to London a whole lot more than I did before. And I certainly wanted to go before!

The creep factor in this novel is definitely there. This novel is a paranormal one, as it includes ghosts and the ability to see them. It's interesting how she makes this work. And I really was guessing all the time since this book isn't very predictable. And the ending. Oh the ending! It's a huge cliffhanger just begging for a sequel! I think I understand what's going on with Rory at the end, and I oh-so-hope it's true!

As for the narrator, she uses a lot of different accents, which is great. It was fun listening to all the different English accents and voices. However, Rory is from Louisiana, and she has a southern accent when she's actually speaking, but when she's just narrating, there was no southern accent. It was strange.

Note: Now that I understand the name of this novel, I think it's kind of silly.. haha. And I wish my name was Jazza. And I also wish that I was a "Ripperologist" because it sounds smart and creepy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

12/06/2011
35.0% "I think I may know what's going on here.. lol."
12/06/2011