Ning's Reviews > Rapture

Rapture by Phillip W. Simpson

F_50x66
Dec 26, 11

Read from December 06 to 22, 2011

As I am reading the blurb from Goodreads after I’ve read the book, I realize there’re spoilers in there. If you’ve read the blurb, then there’s really nothing surprising that you’ll find. Basically the blurb has told most of the story. I guess that’s why I found this book kind of slow and hard to get into at the beginning. I know most of what was going on so I was impatient to get on with the story.

First of all, let me say that the fight scenes are awesome! The author really did think those out through very well, with each move planned. Yet, while I enjoyed it for maybe the first two scenes, it got repetitive after a while. While the moves are not the same, fight scenes are fight scenes. It read more like a screenplay with everything planned out. But the good thing was there were fewer fight scenes later in the book, so as the pace picked up, the fight scenes were much more interesting as well.

My big problems with the book were the characters.

Sam is left behind and must find his way to Los Angeles to reach his destiny. What the destiny is you learn very early in the book. But because the book is written with flashbacks every other chapter, it takes Sam forever to get anywhere. It’s a great way to find out Sam’s past though and to learn about him. However, I didn’t find his past very interesting.

I didn’t like Sam as a protagonist. Yeah I felt bad for him and all. After all, it’s not his fault he was born a demon. Why should he be left alone while his loved ones ascend to Heaven? But he got angry too often for my liking, and he ran away every time something he dislikes comes up. Also, I felt this book would’ve been better if Sam was older. Since there’re so many flashbacks, we see Sam as a young kid, but he didn’t read like a young kid. Instead, his thoughts and feelings are pretty much the same, so even though he’s only like six in the chapter, he still read like he’s eighteen.

As for the other characters, they were one-dimensional. Hikari was just the teacher/foster-father. Aimi was that happy girl. Grace the girl they saved. Joshua was the friend. None of them were interesting. I cared more about Satan and the plans than I cared about any of them.

Anyway, the pace finally picked up around the middle of the book. At that point, I couldn’t put the book down. I guess I did care about Sam at least. Otherwise the last bit wouldn’t be as interesting. I really love the world building for this book. The desolate landscape and blood red moon all contributed to a very lonely and last-man-on-earth kind of atmosphere. Also, for such a premise, the book wasn’t too religious or preachy (as I feared at the start), but everything was explained very clearly. All the questions were answered – like where the demons came from. In the end, I really liked the concept of the story and the world, just not the characters.

Rating: 3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapture.

12/20/2011 page 17