Loy Machedo's Reviews > The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss

Dec 05, 11

Google the word ‘book fat loss’ and you will end up with a herculean task of having to skim through 32,000,000 pages of innovators, fictional writers, self-help gurus and quacks. I have no idea where Timothy Ferriss stands in that populated army of hopefuls but I can tell you this much - This New York Times Best Selling writer whose book debuted at the Number 1 position for 3 straight weeks and also enjoyed the critical reception of being crowned Amazon’s top 5 bestselling books for December 2010 and January 2011 is nothing but the complete unusual.

This books borderlines between the frenetic, the psychotic, the tempting and the blasphemous beliefs of breaking every sane rule possible.

Consider the following claims.
• Lose 20 pounds of fat in 30 days (without exercise)
• Achieve a 15-minute orgasm (yes folks, for 15 minutes non-stop!!!)
• How to sleep 2 hours a day and feel fully rest.
• How to add 50+ pounds to your lifts in 6 months.
• How to increase fat-loss 300% with a few bags of ice.
• How you too can run 50K marathons
• How to hold your breath longer than Houdini
• How to recover like Wolverine from X-Men

The immediate reaction one would undertake after reading such outlandish, outrageous and out-of-this-world claims would be to check Timothy Ferriss background – A guy who is not a scientist, doctor, nutritionist, teacher, researcher or expert.

So what is he exactly?
• A blogger with a few weird achievements to his name.
• A entrepreneur who founded — and later sold — BrainQuicken, a Web company that sells nutritional supplements.
• He has bored people at one of those futuristic, cerebral TED conferences.
• He’s a so-called angel investor in Internet companies.
• He befriends Silicon Valley C.E.O.’s.
• Wired magazine crowned him, in 2008, the “greatest self-promoter in the world.”
• He has 6-pack abs, a great website and is good at Chinese kickboxing.
Then the subsequent question that would surface your grey matter would be – Then how in the world did this clown put together a book that sold millions of copies?

Are people so ignorant or is he so smart?

Or could it be possible thanks to the experiments he conducted upon himself – everything from injecting himself with platelet rich plasma injections, stem cell injections, then moved on to functional movement screens, Feldenkrais, Pilates, Tai Chi, Yoga, Egoscue, Acupuncture, Active-release Technique, topical testosterone patches, DMSO, Arnica, intramuscular and subcutaneous injections, to swallowing 25 pills in one go, to even weighing his own feces to prove how much fiber versus junk is passed out through the stool, if you were to mix and match food?

(Yup, you don’t have to re-read it again. I know what I am talking about)

Yes, folks, we have a mad scientist.

But then what do I have to say about his creation - this book?

Is it worth your time and money?

Sadly and strangely, Tim Ferriss’s book is worth reading and considering. I felt he was very sincere, very honest and very candid about his approach and his research. However, if you were to ask me the more important question, would it change your life forever after reading this book – My answer would be, I don’t think so.

Given the fact that this book is absolutely entertaining and brilliantly complied, I have no doubt that among the 30+ suggestions he has given, something or another would work out for you. But how long and how far, well that is something only time would tell.

If you ask me, given the rise and fall of so many famous diets and gurus – from the ‘grape-fruit with toast’ diets to Low-Carb and then to Atkins, I can only conclude stating, stick to what works. And even better, stick to what you know you can be committed to for a life time.

Overall rating – 8 out of 10.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4-Hour Body.