Milena Benini's Reviews > Murder in the Irish Channel

Murder in the Irish Channel by Greg Herren

Dec 05, 2011

bookshelves: mystery
Read in December, 2011

A really good mystery, with a classic first-person-PI-narrator, but with a twist, since the narrator is gay. However, that isn't a big deal, and it's one of the things that I really liked about the book: gay or black, the characters are just characters, not symbols - which is as good as it is, unfortunately, rare, so that counts as a big plus in my view. Also, the hard-boiled style was done well without going over the top: occasionally, a cold look could 'sterilize a lizard', but it never goes over into J.R.Ward territory.

The story takes place in contemporary New Orleans, and the atmosphere and the descriptions of the city are masterfully done, without going overboard. I've never been to New Orleans, so can't vouch for the accuracy, but the city felt real, and that's really what matters the most.

The mystery itself is well done, and apart from a small bit of cheating by witholding information towards the end, it had a strong, convincing flow from start to finish.

All in all, a very enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in the Irish Channel.