Loryn's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: tween, fantasy, audio-book
Read in December, 2011, read count: 1

This magical story starts in the year 1932 in a train station in Paris. Twelve-year-old Hugo Cabret lives in this train station and since after his Uncle disappeared he has been taking care of all the clocks in the station by himself.

Hugo Cabret has had a tough life. His father died in a fire and he has been living with his Uncle who likes to drink, but has taught Hugo how to fix and take care of all the clocks. Before Hugo’s father died, he told Hugo about magic and automatons and Hugo has been fixing an automaton of his own with the hope that it will write a note from his father. In order to live on his own, Hugo has learned the art of stealing from those at the train station and one day, when trying to steal parts for his automaton, everything changes for him when he is caught by the mysterious owner of the toy shop and he meets this man’s goddaughter. I really enjoyed listening to this book on CD, and even though I could not see the pictures, the production of this audio book uses all different kinds sound effects to help tell the story. I wish that I had the book in front of me while listening, but I do not feel that I was missing anything by listening to the audio book. I loved how this book connected all together at the end and I really enjoyed it overall.

This is a phenomenal book choice for a book club. Not only will it appeal to both boys and girls, it will leave a lot to discuss afterwards. Also, a perk of using this book is that it is now a motion picture! From what I’ve heard, it really translates well to the big screen. I also highly recommend listening to this audio book in a classroom setting. It would be the optimal choice to have every child have a copy of the book in their hands, but I understand that might not be possibly, either way, it would be great in a classroom.

Awards: ALA Notable Children's Books: 2008, Caldecott Medal: 2008, Hawaii: Nene Award Nominees: 2010, Indies Choice Book Award for Middle Reader: 2008, Iowa: Children's Choice Award Nominees: 2010, IRA Children's Choices: 2008, Kentucky: Bluegrass Award Nominees: 2008, Missouri: MarkTwain Award Nominees: 2010, New Jersey: Garden State Children's Book Award Nominees: 2010, New Jersey: Garden State Teen Book Award Nominees: 2010, New York: 3 Apples Book Award Nominees: 2009, North Carolina: Children's Book Award Nominees: 2008, Ohio: Buckeye Award Nominees: 2008, Pacific Northwest Young Reader's Award Nominees: 2010, South Dakota: Prairie Pasque Award Nominees: 2010, Tennessee: Volunteer State Book Award Nominees: 2010, Wisconsin: Golden Archer Award Nominees: 2009.

Characters: Hugo Cabret, Isabelle, George Méliès.

Subjects: Automaton, Mystery fiction, Orphans, Paris (France), Railroads.

References: Book information and award information retrieved from www.bwibooks.com. Accessed on December 1, 2011.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret. (2007, January 15). Retrieved December 1, 2011, from Kirkus Reviews.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret. (n.d.). In AudioFile. Retrieved December 1, 2011, from http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/dbse....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.