Lily's Reviews > The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science

The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

Jun 20, 08

Recommended for: anyone with questions about the brain.
Read in June, 2008

This book was a very interesting read. I found it to be a pretty "light" read, in that the science mumbo-jumbo had been effectively translated into English. But that doesn't mean Doidge's claims are unsupported--throughout the text, and in extensive notes, he cites published research results, giving the book plenty of credibility.

The Brain that Changes Itself discusses the (apparently controversial) subject of neuroplasticity. Although many of its claims seem perfectly intuitive (through mental and physical exercise, we can shape our brains being the main one), the results are often surprising. This book made me more motivated to get off my duff, try new things, and exercise my brain. I recommend it to anyone with some gray matter in their head.

I will admit, there was one chapter I didn't particularly care for. Towards the end, Doidge seems to rely more on case studies, and case studies only, than on theoretical experiments. But I found that he presented the information clearly enough, not masking the sources of his conclusions, that I could easily pick through the words and find what I believed to be true.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brain That Changes Itself.