Brian's Reviews > Fifty Favorite Climbs: The Ultimate North American Tick List

Fifty Favorite Climbs by Mark Kroese

Jun 12, 08

bookshelves: adventure-climbing-skiing-travel

This book made me feel like climbing is about as cool as Star Trek. There are some real geeks out there. It's become so specialized, and this book in particular lavished praise on "firsts" that, while impressive things that I'll never likely do, don't hold a candle to things like Hillary and Norgay's climb of Everest. I don't really care to hear about the first guy to climb the nose with pepsi cans as anchors or if a route is rated A5, AIIV, 5.1232+- blah blah blah. There were, however, some really cool climbs and really touching stories. I liked the climb that Conrad Anker named after a fallen buddy around Baffin Island that you had to kayak to and could only get to like one month out of a year due to pack ice. I really liked the stories about big mountain expeditions in Alaska and B.C. And I've put the Forbidden-Torment Traverse in North Cascades National Park on my to-do list. This book has great pictures but isn't worth reading every word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Favorite Climbs.