NotoriousGOT's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, 2012-read, dystopian, young-adult, romance, photo-series-to-do
Read from January 05 to 07, 2012

Whew! What a fun, creative read! While the idea of fairytale re-tellings isn't new, and neither is the whole modernization with cyborgs in fairytale re-tellings, this was still much, much more creative than any other retelling I've ever read.

While the concept for this book is what I'll remember most years from now, other aspects of this book will stick with me. First, I liked that it was set in future China, but was kind of sad that Meyer didn't add in more of the Asian customs except for the random detail mention of using chopsticks and a few other smaller details like that.

Characters were very well developed, although I really wish Marissa Meyer had taken more time to develop the relationship with Cinder and her young step sister Peony more. That relationship felt rushed, and as a result I was not as invested in the heartbreak that comes later in the story revolving around that relationship.

I liked Kai's character. I thought he was well written, although at times felt too mature for someone who was supposed to only be like 18. I know he's royalty and all, but 18 year old boys are all the same in certain aspects, royalty or not.

My only major gripe with this book is that the "surprise" twist at the ending. I saw that coming about 60 pages in which made the big reveal less satisfying. I understand that this is written for a younger audience, but still. It was all too painfully obvious to me.

That being said, even though this is a retelling I thought Meyer took it far enough in a different direction that I will no doubt continue with the story when the next book comes out.

I also want to applaud Marissa Meyer for her pacing. Most YA books that are apart of a series are soooo slow until that last 100 pages or so. This book had great pacing right from the get go and I rarely found it to lose its momentum. So kudos to you Marissa!

This was fun, quirky, funny, romantic and overall nicely well done. It IS a little overhyped - so another kudos to the marketing team's efforts, but it's definitely worth reading for any YA fan!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

01/05/2012 page 16
4.0% "just started!"
show 1 hidden update…

Riley Just finished an hour ago. I felt pretty similarly to you.

NotoriousGOT Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm surprised by how much I've already forgotten... I still like it a lot, but I don't think it was one of those books that really took my breath away or made me think critically or anything. Still a fun read!

Riley Yeah, because it didn't reach my emotional core, it's not a book that I would call a favorite. But it was very clever and solidly written, which I think counts for a lot.