Willow's Reviews > The Duke and I

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: historical, tortured-hero

I hate when I'm stuck outside of the story and not as involved as I'd like to be, and that kind of happened here. It was like all the points are there, everything I would expect in a fun, witty, charming and sexy historical, and yet...and yet...I don't know. Every time I started to believe them and get into it I'd hit a wall. A wall of, "If one them says the word rake one more time I'm gonna chuck this thing at the wall."

See? I get it. He's a rake. You don't have to remind me 800 times. Just show me he's a rake and I'll believe you. I swear.

The whole bit about him stammering? LOVED it. Maybe I just have a thing for dark, broken men, but I loved that part of him. Those were the moments I really began to get lost and fall for it all. The frustration, the words getting lodged in his throat, his skill of covering it all up with a cough or pause. I was intrigued by this Simon in those moments. He was real and interesting. And yes, also a rake, in case anyone forgot.

Daphne was cute. Stubborn and one of the guys. Charming, I know. But it was something else we were constantly reminded of instead of shown. Her brothers felt like cardboard cutouts of each other.

I wanted to like it more than I did, but I liked it enough to one day, maybe possibly, read the next. That or I'll stick to Kleypas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke and I.

Nicole Agree