Letizia's Reviews > The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Dec 05, 2011

bookshelves: public-library
Read in December, 2011

Overall it is a very interesting book. You are able to learn from another culture (in this case Chinese). How was 1940's in China. WWII in China. Their traditions and way of thinking. Their superstitions. I learned so much that I was able to make a connection with my chinese friends. It is easy to feel the culture because some words are writen in the chinese phonetic.

The book tells the story of 4 chinese ladies, that at some point share the same story. Each of them has a daughter, and like the same they share their stories somehow connecting with the other ladie's daughters. It also covers what culture shock is like, how immigrants suffer but also succed in a new place, how the so called "chinese-americans"- "mexican-americans"-"japanese-american" and so on try to blend their cultures with the american. It is very clear when making a distinguish between these two cultures. It also shows how some families want their children to follow their culture, when because of being in another country the children want to follow the ones of the country.

I love this book, and I hight recommend it if you are seeking to learn "what is culture shock", "what is like to live in another country", and "what would happen if you go abroad meet someone, marry him/her, what would you like your siblings to follow?" It is always one culture or the other, is hard to mix.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy Luck Club.

Quotes Letizia Liked

Amy Tan
“Then you must teach my daughter this same lesson. How to lose your innocence but not your hope. How to laugh forever.”
Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club