Book Sniffers Anonymous's Reviews > The Immortal Highlander

The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read on December 05, 2011

I totally read this book without reading the previous five and was caught up on everything that was going on. It also helped that I read Moning's Fever series and knew all about the Fey and Sidhe-seer's. Even though I didn't read the previous books and had no idea why Adam was being punished at the beginning, I sort of liked finding things out gradually as he told Gabby.

Adam starts out as this cocky, arrogant Fey prince who comes barging into Gabrielle's life like a madman on a mission. You see, because Adam was cursed by his queen and turned into an invisible mortal, he jumps at the chance of having Gabrielle help him when he realizes that she is the only person who can see him. He will do anything it takes to get her to help him turn back into an immortal.

Gabrielle has spent her entire life pretending she doesn't see the Fey all around her. For if any of them found out what she was, the hunters would be sent and she would be tortured and killed. So when she comes across a smoldering hot Fey in front of her office building, she freezes. Not only that but because of her reaction it now knows that she has the sight and can see it.

Moning did a great job with not only the world building but developing the characters as well. As you progress in the story, you get snippets from their pasts. I loved the progression of the attraction of the characters. Of course when they first see each other they are infatuated. Fey are incredibly irresistible, which is how they ensnare humans and Adam find Gabrielle not only attractive but he loves her ferocity. After all when he shows up at her door hours after she accidentally reveals herself as a Sidhe-seer, she knocks him a good one upside his head. Even after they start working together, it isn't until after they are running for their lives that Gabby starts to bring her barrier down and starts to be seduced by Adam.

Favorite part...
After the attack, Adam and Gabby hightail it to Scotland to seek help from a family of druids. Since no one but Gabby can see Adam, she has to relay who they are and what they want.
“Tell them, Gabrielle,” Adam urged impatiently.
Blinking, Gabby nodded. “I have one of the, er… fairies here with me –”
“Tuatha Dé,” Adam corrected irritably. “You’re bloody well making me sound like Tinkerbell.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Highlander.

Quotes Book Sniffers Anonymous Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“Tell them, Gabrielle,” Adam urged impatiently.
Blinking, Gabby nodded. “I have one of the, er… fairies here with me –”
Karen Marie Moning, The Immortal Highlander