Beth's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: paranormal, teenfic
Read in December, 2011

Even with all the creepy pictures inside, I still didn't realize this book was going to actually creep me out so much. Of course, I hadn't thought I might be reading it at three in the morning, either. Normally, for me, sleep is a sacred thing I protect and guard jealously. My kids aren't good sleepers, and I've spent a lot of time in the last three years (since my son was born) dead on my feet. So now that we all usually sleep through the night, I try hard to put books down at a reasonable time so I can get at least seven hours. However, my husband was leaving early on a business trip, and after seeing him off, I picked up the book again. I've forced myself to put it down and spend some neutral, uncreepy time on the internets in hopes I can go back to sleep for a while. I may leave a light on, though.

PS forgot to mention I've had nightmares the last three nights when I hadn't started this book yet, so I'm not looking forward to whatever suggestions this book has made to my subconscious.

Finished

Well, I should've finished it last night. This morning, with "The Wheels on the Bus" playing at top volume, the book wasn't nearly as creepy. In fact, the climax was distinctly anti-climactic. It could've been the music, but I'm not convinced that accounted for all of it.

The story - Jacob's grandpa tells him stories about a Home on an island in Wales where he lived as a child when he fled Poland because of the Holocaust. The children who lived there can do weird things, like float or become invisible or pick up giant rocks. He shows Jacob pictures, which are the best part of the book, I think. They are real life pictures that the author put together to build the story around. That part was very creepy. Oh, and there are also monsters, but no pics of those, just descriptions that give Jacob screaming nightmares. Jacob believes his grandpa until second grade, when everyone makes fun of him.

When Jacob is sixteen, his grandpa is dragged off by what can only be described as a monster, and no one believes Jacob. He ends up in intense psychotherapy until he's finally able to admit that it was all his imagination and the shock. Then he finds a clue, and ends up on the island searching for the Home. It's all just believable enough, and very creepy. Then comes the "exciting" part, when I sort of lost interest and just plowed through til the end while Jesse sang "Round and Round" along with the CD and in general drove me nuts. Very sad. The writing in most of the book was good enough that I'll probably go ahead and read the next one, though. I can't help wondering how it will be structured, and if the pics will vary, or the theme.

So even though the ending fell flat for me, I recommend it, especially late at night. Start reading right after supper and read straight through to the end!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

12/10/2011 page 87