Crystal's Reviews > The Deep

The Deep by Helen Dunmore

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, urban-fantasy
Read from March 23 to 26, 2012

I love the Ingo series, but this book I didn't love as much as the first two. I can't even put my finger on why. I just didn't enjoy it as much, and found I had more of a struggle to finish the book. I wanted to finish it. I just never seemed to want to pick the book up to do so.
Maybe it had to do with Ervys. He is a pretty awful character. a bit like Lucius Malfoy. Arrogant and power-hungry, with his sycophantic supporters. ugh! The Kraken was pretty unappealing too, and perhaps felt a little silly/ anti climactic.
I am also starting to wonder where this series is going. Will Conor end up with Elvira? or Rainbow? or none of the above? Will either he or Sapphire allow their stronger half of their nature to overwhelm the other? Will we eventually get more interactions with Sappy and Conor's dad and his new wife and son? Will Sapphy and Faro's bond hold strong? I'm pretty sure there is only one novel left that directly tells their story, and I'm nervous to read it and see what happens with them.
Nevertheless, the world of Ingo itself is still as magical as ever. The Mer in this book are fascinating, and the "dear whale" is a great character. I hope Sappy gets to meet the whale's daughter. and I'm curious to find what this "Crossing of Ingo" entails and means for Sapphy and Faro.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deep.