Rachelle Rea's Reviews > Out with the In Crowd

Out with the In Crowd by Stephanie Morrill

Dec 05, 11

Read in January, 2010

I just put down the last book in The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series. For the second time.

I can only remember one other contemporary YA series of novels that I have ever read. The Diary of A Teenage Girl series by Melody Carlson, the Caitlin O'Conner books. I read that series twice, too, but not within a few months of each other. In fact, I can't remember when was the last time I read an entire series (or even one book, for that matter) twice in half a year. My To-Read List is just that long.

Which should tell you that these books are just that great.

I first heard about the Skylar series when I came across the Go Teen Writers, run by the author, to which I am now an avid subscriber.

{Even if you disregard this review, saying 'These books aren't for me,' if you're a young writer, stop by Go Teen Writers. Trust me. You'll thank me later.}

The thing that continually amazes me whenever I glance at these three books smiling at me from the bookshelf is that Skylar is nothing like me. She is a high school student and I've already graduated.
On the whole, I usually pick up historical-setting novels. I don't read much set in modern times. Add to that the fact that Skylar is anything but a strong Christian at the beginning of the first book, and I should have been shaking my head at page one.

But despite our outward differences, Skylar and I connected.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

There is one page number I have memorized in Book One, Me, Just Different, page 205, that contains a quote I have read over and over.

"But what happens after your best friend takes you out for ice cream? You feel better for a little bit, but eventually the pain comes back. God is the only one who can heal the pain you're carrying around."

Whatever author Stephanie Morrill has published next, I will definitely be scooping up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out with the In Crowd.