Andi Ruggles (Rywn)'s Reviews > Eternal Starling

F_50x66
Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: loved, reviewed
Read in December, 2011

Evie has never had much luck in rela­tion­ships. In fact, they all go pretty hor­ri­bly. But when she gets lost while hitch­hik­ing she meets Alex, and is drawn to him imme­di­ately. Some­times sweet, some­times irri­tat­ing, Evie never knows what to expect from Alex, espe­cially when he sud­denly claims that she’s in dan­ger, and it’s because of him. Dis­ap­pear­ing as quick as he entered into her life, Evie moves on and meets Emil. What she expects to be just a rebound rela­tion­ship turns out to be much more than that, for Emil is just as involved in the sit­u­a­tion going on around her as Alex was. Nei­ther man makes a rela­tion­ship as easy as Evie would like, and an age-old bat­tle is going on around her. Alex claims to be Evie’s soul mate and that Emil is only out to hurt her, Evie can’t help but trust and care for him just as much.

I loved Eter­nal Star­ling — after I picked it up on Kin­dle last night I just couldn’t put it down. Evie is head­strong and fierce, utterly deter­mined not to let her life be walked all over by the men who enter into it. Much of the book is about Evie and her rela­tion­ships with Alex and then Emil, and I con­stantly found a tug of war occur­ring in my heart over who I liked bet­ter. Alex is pas­sion­ate, utterly deter­mined to keep Evie safe, even if it means hurt­ing her in the process. Emil is charm­ing and mys­te­ri­ous, how­ever Alex claims he is dan­ger­ous and is only out to hurt Evie. Though I often found myself as frus­trat­ing as Evie was with the sit­u­a­tion, I loved that about the book.

The larger plot of the series slowly opens up over the course of Eter­nal Star­ling, and I am eager to know more of the story, and of the pow­ers at play. I found Eter­nal Star­ling to be funny and roman­tic, even if at times I wanted to shake the char­ac­ters for being so dif­fi­cult. Evie is just the kind of strong female lead that I’d been look­ing for lately, and it is a love tri­an­gle that is done right, with the ‘win­ner’ never being obvious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Starling.