Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*'s Reviews > Unholy Magic

Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane

**Possible spoilers but I'm just too lazy right now to tag them**

One of the things I really like about the Downside Ghosts series is the world that it's based in. It's quite fascinating, in my opinion. The fact that ghosts are such evil, vindictive spirits and the Church has debunkers to banish them when necessary, or prove people are trying to scam the Church when it's not, is extremely captivating.

As with before, though, I really did not like Chess. In fact, I hated her with a passion. Before she was at least snarky but in this book I felt like she was too whinny. She would blame the situations she was in on other people (Bump, Terrible, the Elders, Oliver, etc.) instead of taking the responsibility, sucking it up and dealing with the consequences that she caused. She always had a choice in a situation and yet she still put herself in such positions. Chess's drug problem was also way worse than it had been in Unholy Ghosts and, to me, it's like she's spiraling farther and farther down in her addiction. So bad, in fact, that I felt like a big majority of the book revolved around her taking numerous drugs and one long scene even shows her withdrawing (which I took great pleasure out of). No offense, but she seriously needs an intervention. And to break things off with Lex (because really, she's just a kept whore at this point).

On a side note, I absolutely love Terrible! He's sweet and big and caring and dominant and cruel to those who deserve it and... well I could just go on and on about how much I love Terrible and what great qualities he has! I really loved that Terrible was man enough to lay it all out for Chess about his feelings and what he wanted from her. But then I hated Chess even more for how she handled it (view spoiler).

I have to say that the first half of the book did not interest me at all (was a two star). I couldn't get into the story and I honestly can't tell you why that is, just that it didn't draw me in. It could be because I felt like it was focused too much on Chess's drug problem than the actual story (but then that could just be me making a big deal out of nothing. Who knows?). BUT the second half of the story was VERY suspenseful and had me hooked (4 star!). I loved the conflict with the famous actor, Roger, and how all the prostitutes were tied in. I admit to being more than a little confused at times when Chess was talking about how it all was explained but it was enjoyable nevertheless. With that, I still have some unanswered questions regarding the book (view spoiler).

In the end, I liked the story. It wasn't exactly better than the first in the series but I believe that has more to do with how much I dislike Chess than it does the writing style or the conflicts of the book. The mysteries were still just as engaging once I could get passed my Chess problems and once I allowed myself to sink into the story it became a gripping action-packed story. I do plan, and even look forward to, reading the next in the series.

Best phrases of the book:(view spoiler)
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Magic.

01/14/2012
01/14/2012
11.0% "Still don't understand how Chess isn't knocked up since they never use condoms"
01/15/2012
22.0% ""Naw, no need. Nothin show up we ain't handle, aye? You an me." awww that's sweeeeeeet. Love Terrible!"
01/15/2012
40.0% "She's just getting worse. And lying now too. More than before :("
01/25/2012
46.0% "Chess needs an intervention."
02/02/2012
62.0% "Terrible just poured his heart out to Chess and Chess couldn't do anything. Just stood frozen. My poor big sweet Terrible! :'("
02/02/2012
72.0% "I. Fucking. Hate. Chess."
02/02/2012
75.0% "Can I get an overdose please?"
02/02/2012
86.0% "Probably the best and most accurate line in the whole book - "I got some pills on me, dig. Figure I hand em over, I come back your place on the later an fuck you?" - Terrible telling it like it is"
02/06/2012
100.0% 9 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Gaa-chan (new)

Gaa-chan well Niky-kun... thanks to unholy magic ;3

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. What do you mean? Are you gonna read it?

message 3: by Gaa-chan (new)

Gaa-chan u asked how it's possible she's not knocked up. ;3 it must be cause of this unholy magic thing. ;3 and Nooo I stay away from pink tuna ;3

MsMiz (Tina) If I recall it is explained later. There is a reason.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Ooooh hahaha Gaa-chan. I'm a bit slow lol

I hope it's explained soon cuz I was questioning this in the last book

MsMiz (Tina) Needless to say, it should not be something you question. Not to mention, maybe there is a BC pill slipped in with all those others;)

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. Possibly but I like confirmation about these things you know? Cuz this isn't a fantasy world it's a post apoc which means they shouldn't be able to control whether they get pregnant or not. And if they can control it I want to know how otherwise I'm left wondering how these people are having sex with no condoms an no mention of bc. It's the same thing I question in every other book where it's possible a baby can be made

message 8: by Val (new)

Val Kovalin Wasn't that drug withdrawal scene gruesome? I mean, great vivid writing to the point where the whole thing made me queasy!

message 9: by Val (new)

Val Kovalin MsMiz(Tina) is right. Chess tells Terrible at one point that she's unable to have children because of an abortion she had to have in her teens.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yeah but that doesn't happen until about 60% in or so. I would have liked an explanation for it when the book first started

message 11: by Val (new)

Val Kovalin Oh, that's right. Good point! And here we readers are distracted for the first several chapters, wondering about pregnacy and birth control and everything else! :D

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Well I was! Lol. She's a slut. I wanted to know why she wasn't bulging with a baby

message 13: by Val (new)

Val Kovalin Ha, ha! Too true. I have to say -- you've set a new record for bookshelf labels! I mean, 25? :D

MsMiz (Tina) So N, what makes her a slut? Cuz she had sex with two different guys? That is it? Most of the men we read are down right whores then!