Linda Banche's Reviews > Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (Windham, #4)

Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (Windham, #4) by Grace Burrowes

Dec 05, 11

Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

Grace Burrowes's latest Regency historical, LADY SOPHIE'S CHRISTMAS WISH, is a perfect-for-the-season tale of two lonely people who find happiness while stranded in a London snowstorm with a baby.

Duke's daughter Sophie has dreamed of a few days alone away from her large family at her parents' London townhouse. What she didn't expect was to be saddled with her former housemaid's abandoned baby. Even worse, Sophie knows nothing about caring for infants and a blizzard rages outside. Enter Vim (short for Wilhelm), unable to reach home because of the weather, who offers to teach Sophie how to care for the baby.

Ms. Burrowes guides us through a Christmas story that will make you laugh and cry. Humorous, brimming with emotion, and full of detailed descriptions, Vim and Sophie fall in love despite crossed signals and the insatiable demands of an infant. In separate scenes, most of them hilarious, Ms. Burrowes fills us in on the rest of Sophie's and Vim's families, and how everyone comes together to help our hero and heroine find their happily ever after.

LADY SOPHIE'S CHRISTMAS WISH touches on several themes familiar to all: loneliness in the midst of a crowd and the myth of the seemingly invulnerable person who fixes other peoples' problems, but who cannot fix his/her own. Sophie has spent her life helping others, and wishes nothing more than to find someone all her own. An unavenged insult from his youth has turned Vim into a wanderer who desperately wants to return home to a woman he loves. But Christmas is a time when wishes are granted, but not after some initial struggle.

Ms. Burrowes really knows how to write appealing heroes. You gotta love a man who isn't afraid to change a dirty diaper. And he's blond! I do love my blond heroes. And sweet, quiet Sophie, overshadowed by the more flamboyant members of her large family, at last learns how to shine.

Give yourself a Christmas gift and read LADY SOPHIE'S CHRISTMAS WISH.

ARC provided by Sourcebooks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (Windham, #4).