Claire's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Sent: 08 December 2011 12:45
To: Christian Grey
Subject: Best Book Ever?

Dear Mr Grey

Or should I call you Sir? I have recently finished the first part of your trilogy about the romance between yourself and Miss Anastasia Steele and like Miss Steele I thought it would be easier for me to write my feelings down in an e-mail to you. You see I don’t tend to read books like the one written about you. In fact if you take a look at my bookshelf you will see less than five.

So where shall I begin? Well I think I should start with my feelings for you. To put it bluntly Mr Grey you beguile me. Even though I have only known you for four days I am a little embarrassed to say that I cannot stop thinking about you Sir. It seems that my every waking moment is about you. I have even dreamt about you. I have been so addicted to your story that I have grabbed every moment I could to read about you. I have skipped meals because that would take me away from you, I have stayed up late reading about you and I have also been late for work because yes you guessed it I was reading about you. I do not think you would have been happy about my behaviour Mr Grey and I fear that if I were yours my behind would be fifty shades of black and blue. I would also like to say how much I approve of Miss Steele. You have a wonderful girlfriend, she is clever and funny and I like her very much. I loved reading the e-mails between you both they were very witty and entertaining.

I must admit that I have seen your book around for a while and many of my friends have read it and raved about it but I didn’t even give you a look until this week but I am so glad I did. I see that your story is classified as erotica but I’m afraid I do not agree with this and I would class it as romance. Yes there is BDSM in your story and very hot scenes of you and Miss Steele but for me it is a love story. I have read a couple of erotica books before and they are nothing like yours. Unlike the others, which seemed to be just about sex, your book has a plot and a story that needs telling. Have you ever read a book Mr Grey and wished that you had written it and that it was your words on the page? Well that is how I feel about this book, I absolutely love it. I love the authors words and style of writing, it has bewitched me. Could this be the best book that I have ever read? You know what, I think it could be. This book has completely taken over my life, a first for me I must say. I have even listened to Spem In Alium by Thomas Tallis this morning. You know, the music you make Ana listen to when you…well I won’t go into that here.

I need to go now and give my life away to you again in book 2 Fifty Shades Darker. I hope I find out more about you Sir and why you are fifty shades of f**ked up. So until next time Mr Grey I bid you farewell.

I wish I was yours.

Claire x
692 likes · flag

12/05
16.0% "Oh my *fans face*" 2 comments
12/06
34.0% "Is this the best book ever? I've hardly slept because I was reading when I did I dreamt naughty dreams and I was late for work because I was reading again. Christian Grey I will submit to you *swoon*."
12/06
46.0% "If people at work only knew what I was reading at lunch time at my desk. Counting down the hours to reading time later" 3 comments
12/06
63.0% "Why must I sleep? I want to read more but I'm so tired. I hope I dream of Grey."
12/07
66.0% "Late for work again! Would Mr Grey punish me for my tardiness? One hopes so ;)" 4 comments
12/07
100.0% "No, no, no, wtf? Thank goodness I've got book 2 to start."
02/22 marked as: read

Comments (showing 50-99)

message 99: by James (new) - added it

James Shall have to read this... I'm wary of D/s fiction. The Doms in it are often super perfect or eyewateringly arrogant. Dominant in my personal life I may be. But I am neither of those...,,

Claire Mr Grey is perfect, on the outside at least but as he says himself he is 'fifty shades of f**ked up'. As for arrogant? I prefer the word confident :) Its a great read James you should give it a go, just don't expect to get any sleep or much done whilst you are reading it.

Magda Great review, Claire! :)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ Love the review!!! I've fallen head over heels for Mr. Grey as well - and I'm only 25% done with the book ;)

message 95: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Great review Claire ... yet another on my TBR pile!

Sunny My goodness, Claire! You're review is amazing! All I can say is "ditto"! :)

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Sunny told me about this review, so naturally I came to read it! And WOW, love it! Its a honorable tribute to the book in its email form... and I totally agree! This book was beyond amazing, so much so, I couldn't really articulate a review worthy of it, so I just jotted a few words down as best I could and moved on to book two, which I am enraptured in as we speak! Terrific review!

message 92: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Claire , I am glad that I am not the only one who like the story so much that I looked up the music he listened to as well. Great minds think a like. I have started list of the sounds so I can make a Fifty Shades playlist for my iPod.

Angie I find this review a little scathe because my friend and I were just discussing the same thing... dreaming of Mr grey, thinking about him thrum out the day, loosing sleep to read... I lost myself in these books...

Jessica HAHAH.. love it!! This entire series has captivated me in ways no book ever has before. I find myself just wanting to go back and read bits and pieces -- just because. I have lent out my copy several times to have friends calling me at 3am asking if they can come pick up the 2nd & 3rd books. Hey, other people may feel differently than I do but I absolutely love the series and I DEMAND more. =) Enjoy ladies.

Doreen I found this comment to be right on track. I couldn't have said it better myself. I am left thinking about Christian Grey long after I finished the trilogy. Scary how much control he has and he is not even real. Or is he?
Love it!!!

Margie L Claire, Mr. Grey would not approve of you skipping meals. :)

Maria lol this is way on track, makes me wonder if she has Mr. Grey on her email contact list for reals. I am sure she would be getting a terrible twitching palm when she gets home, for i believe he will disapprove this was not sent through blackberry, and if that is the case then I am jealous and want to be in her shoes. Well said ladies well said.

message 86: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Well done, Claire.

Kassie Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to find a way to articulate my feelings for this book and you just said everything that I wanted to say! I am completely bewitched by this book and by Mr. Grey himself. I cannot remember the last time that I could not shake a book, it is in my system...kind of an overwhelming feeling! Wonderful review!

message 84: by Baseballjenn (new)

Baseballjenn Well done Claire. If you ended it with "Laters, Baby," I would have cracked up laughing!

message 83: by Parker (new)

Parker Long Here’s a very funny parody of 50 Shades of Grey called Fifty Shades of Black and Blue — Ouch!

Linda Great review,!

message 81: by Jessica (new)

Jessica No thanks, I prefer my psychopaths Tate Langdon style a la American Horror Story. Not some man in his thirties, wearing a business suit with the need to beat the Hell out of me during sex.

Madeleine You said it all Clair!

Jessica, hes in his 20's.

LuvtoRead Hahhaah that was funny, Ur late though Grey's ship has sailed - literally!! hahah

message 78: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I must say,I feel the exact same way as you... I fell in love with him even as fucked up as he is. He is one sexy man.

Dannii i have finished all the books and i still have to keep rereading them i so wanted the series to carry on and i like your review :)

message 76: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I know... I could keep reading.. I didnt want the book to end.

message 75: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Joyner Your story is mine you summed it up I would say pretty well for sure

Celina Cool review! :))

Megan Hogan I super enjoyed all 3 books. People are picking it apart talking about its poorly written, I didn't think so. It served its purpose just like a movie I was quite entertained! This trilogy caused me sleep deprivation'

message 72: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Fantastic review

Bridget Very apt. As a voracious reader, I am perplexed at the vicious dislike many readers have of these books. I have relatively high standards for the quality of writing in my books, and this one certainly met that standard. I agree - (I am nearly done with Fifty Shades Darker) that this is a story of love and redemption. Ana does seem to bringing Christian into the light.

Famma must say you read and reviewed it brilliantly...*Thumbs Up*

message 69: by Mournfulbliss (new)

Mournfulbliss "Yes there is BDSM in your story and very hot scenes of you and Miss Steele but for me it is a love story. I have read a couple of erotica books before and they are nothing like yours. Unlike the others, which seemed to be just about sex, your book has a plot and a story that needs telling." <---PERFECT!

Kristine I'm so conflicted upon weather or not I really want to read this book. Your review makes it sound compelling but other reviews make it sound like a waste of time! So idk what to do!!

message 67: by Mournfulbliss (new)

Mournfulbliss Kristine wrote: "I'm so conflicted upon weather or not I really want to read this book. Your review makes it sound compelling but other reviews make it sound like a waste of time! So idk what to do!!"

if you have an open mind and read it like a love story, its actually interesting

Kristine Yeah I'm giving in. I'm too curious and i do have an open mind. I think this will interest me. :)

message 65: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Mcdaniel Wow oh wow! Mr. Grey I couldn't stop reading. Read in less than a day! What I would do to meet u in real life! But I am more like Ana!. Now I have to wait until my sister finishes book two. I will say I did not like the ending in book one!. Shape up Mr. Grey!

April Parrish I love the email review. The emails between Ana and Christian were my favorite part of book 1. I have heard over and over how graphic the sex scenes were but they were no worse that scenes in the Sookie Stackhouse series or the Stephanie Plum series. The only exception being that this book contained the BDSM scenes. I have to admit that I don't get the punishment or the need to control and frankly, if it were me, I would never have allowed it. Still, I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I scoffed at friends. It couldn't be THAT exciting, it was.

message 63: by Christina (new)

Christina damn lady, you need to get help. I'm serious!

Melissa Crook This is the most by far best book review I have ever read!!! Go fifty shades!!

Arjun I feel like I've learned more about women from the 50 Shades GR page than 10+ years of dating.

message 60: by Candicelee (new)

Candicelee Claire - I couldn't have said it better myself. I loved these books! The storey is captivating. There is much more to this story than just sex. You were right on in my opinion.

message 59: by Esme (new)

Esme I loved your review, as much as I loved the book!!

JenniferC Your review is quite entertaining!

Carla I LOVED YOUR REVIEW !

message 56: by Lisa (last edited Aug 10, 2012 04:41AM) (new)

Lisa Bridget wrote: "Very apt. As a voracious reader, I am perplexed at the vicious dislike many readers have of these books. I have relatively high standards for the quality of writing in my books, and this one certai..."

Do you not think that it is a very dangerous message to send young women that it doesn't matter if your partner is violent, abusive and controlling...it's because he's had a bad childhood and don't worry...you can change him?? Many women end up dying at the hands men like your "romantic" Mr Grey. If he wasn't rich and handsome would you still but up with the violence, the stalking, the controlling every aspect of your life? I doubt it. Which is very shallow.

That aside...the standard of the writing is appalling. Horrendously repetitive and in no manner reflects the way a young woman would speak...no matter how virginal. "oh my, oh my, oh my" "Christ" every paragraph.

Bridget Lisa wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Very apt. As a voracious reader, I am perplexed at the vicious dislike many readers have of these books. I have relatively high standards for the quality of writing in my books, and..."

I must assume you haven't read the entire trilogy. Book 1 is definitely representing Grey as a intolerant dominating man, but as the relationship evolves, he becomes a very different person, intensely loving and protective. He sees himself as flawed beyond salvation, but Ana learns how to maintain her integrity and independence while she helps Christian move into emotional health. I saw it as a story of redemption of a tortured soul, who was deserving of love.

Valerie Get a grip, girl! You CANNOT be serious with that review?! Oh, I get it, it's supposed to be sarcastic, right? Phew, I was worried there for a moment....more Get a grip, girl! You CANNOT be serious with that review! Oh, I get it, it's supposed to be sarcastic, right? Phew, I was worried there for a moment...(less).

Athena Jacob Very good and entertaining review. I totally agreed about it being more like romance than erotica. I also love the emails back and forth to each other.

Cheryl Matheson love this! so cute

message 51: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay Jackson Well Done. I like you have missed work, sleep, food, and everything in between reading this book. I read the entire trilogy in 3 days.

Kathy Best review EVER! I feel the same way and I cannot get Fifty out of my mind. I to listened to the songs mentioned in the book. I do not ever think I will be the same, nor do I want to. I am currently on book three trying to pace myself so as not to end my pleasure.

« previous 1