♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Oct 08, 12

bookshelves: signed-by-author
Read from September 29 to October 07, 2012 — I own a copy

This story took my breath away! I was high on emotion and excitement that kept me glued to the pages. I am in awe of Tahereh Mafi’s writing, so beautiful, so captivating. In a sea of YA she stands out and shines. Prepare for lots of gushing.

Now that Juliette is out of the asylum and not a prisoner of Warner anymore, all the effects of being locked up, and deprived of human contact come rushing in. She’s never been close to another person; she was even rejected by her own parents and called a “thing,” so it’s easy to understand why she is so awkward with people, and scared to let any friends in besides Adam. At Omega Point she’s supposed to fit in, these are her kind, after all. But Juliette sees the frightened glances and the wary looks, so she can’t help but wonder if she’ll ever fit in anywhere.

Her relationship with Adam is so intense, because this is a first for her. She’s never had the joy of human touch, and she now comes ALIVE from it. Thrives on it. Adam wants her, and wants to touch her, sees her as a girl, and not someone to fear, and to Juliette this is monumental. Some of their scenes together are very powerful. I think I was overcome just as much as Juliette while reading these! Unravel Me has some of the steamiest scenes I have ever read in YA! I know I’ve said that I HATE love triangles, and for the most part, I REALLY, REALLY do. Well, we have a love triangle and somehow it works. In Shatter Me I was solidly Team Adam. So, why Warner?!! Why did you have to utterly charm me, and crawl into my heart?!! Some of the things he confesses to Juliette, and the soul bearing words he shares, completely floors me! I am UNDONE by him!! I’m soooo conflicted now, I don’t know if I could chose between these two, and neither can Juliette. But don’t fear, those who are cringing as you read that last bit. The plot is not all focused on the love life of Juliette. There are bigger things to worry about.

There is a war brewing between the Reestablishment and the citizens, and Omega Point is right in the middle of it. Juliette must quickly learn how to control and harness her power if she’s to help the Resistance. So many people are counting on her to step up. Juliette struggles with her power, and how her intense emotions affect her power. Whenever she’s flooded with dark or negative emotions, she can barley control herself, or the delight she feels at the horror she’s able to inflict. This shocked me a little, and I think it shocked Juliette as well. But I admired that she always tried to be a good person, and was willing to struggle to do so. Also, we meet Anderson, Warner’s father and leader of the Reestablishment, and finally understand why Warner is so screwed up. This guy will NEVER win father-of-the-year!! But his history and a few revelations around him are extremely interesting.

Parts of this story were truly heartbreaking for me. I was dying inside for Juliette. She struggles so much with her worthiness to exist and be loved. I was eager for her to reach out and be part of the Omega family and connect. Seeing her finally gain some confidence brought a big smile to my face. I have a feeling we’re going to see this girl kick some ass in the next book and I cannot wait to watch!

This book was a very satisfying sequel and didn’t suffer the dreaded “second book syndrome” at all. I was riveted from the first pages on. Ms. Mafi has a true talent for bringing out strong emotions. Her gorgeous writing and prose are truly moving. I felt heartbreak, lust, longing and love right along with Juliette, Adam and Warner. The situation gripped my heart and squeezed. I can’t wait to pick up the next in the series and I might literally die from the wait! I highly recommend this series to all YA lovers, it’s a cut above the rest.

Thanks to Harper Collins for allowing me to read this.

You can find this review and more at The Readers Den.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

09/29/2012 page 1
0.0% "Be prepared for some major swooning over Adam!" 7 comments
09/29/2012 page 14
3.0% "I could touch him from here. His eyes, dark blue. His hair, dark brown. His shirt, too tight in all the right places and his lips, his lips twitch up to flick the switch that lights the fire in my heart and I don't even have time to blink and exhale before I'm caught in his arms." 3 comments
09/29/2012 page 104
22.0% "It's like swimming in molasses, this kiss, it's like being dipped in gold, this kiss, it's like I'm diving into an ocean of emotion and I'm too swept up in the current to realize I'm drowning and nothing even matters anymore." 10 comments
10/01/2012 page 208
44.0% "I don't bother to mention that I have no idea how to reload a weapon. Kenji and I never got to that part in our lesson. He was too busy trying to remind me not to use a gun to gesticulate while asking questions."
10/04/2012 page 233
50.0% "His is an exquisitely handsome face, one I now realize he's inherited from his father. It's the kind of face no one believes in anymore; lines and angles and easy symmetry that's almost offensive in its perfection....It's a face destined for trouble, for danger,....." 3 comments
10/06/2012 page 281
60.0% "Warner laughs a full-bodied laugh. Shakes his head. Smiles at me in a way I've only ever seen once before, looking at me like I'm the sweetest thing he's ever decided to eat. Those dimples"

Jenn Ohh I like it! Every time it says "this kiss" reminds me of Faith Hills song "This Kiss"

♥Rachel♥ Me too! Every scene Adam is in, my knees go weak. :)

Jenn Def getting more excited to start this. Although I see things on GR about a love triangle with Warner? What the heck is that about? I've also seen some people say:Team Kenji. I say ...uhhh WHAT??

♥Rachel♥ Yep, there's a love triangle coming. I haven't got to it yet though. Kenji is not part of it, but he is hot and funny. :)

Jenn Lol I liked Kenji. Glad he's still funny :)
Hmm I had a feeling a possible triangle was goin to happen. Poor Adam I like him but I can't lie, I like Warner a little too hahha

♥Rachel♥ You bad girl! You and Arlene are Team Warner! That's okay because Bethany and I are Team Adam! Maybe my feelings will change a bit at the end of this though, we'll see. Warner's book comes out tomorrow, right?

Jenn ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "You bad girl! You and Arlene are Team Warner! That's okay because Bethany and I are Team Adam! Maybe my feelings will change a bit at the end of this though, we'll see. Warner's book comes out tomo..."

Yes, Destroy Me comes out tomorrow. Maybe his book will make everyone appreciate or at least understand him 10 times more. I'm like a fence sitter..I want both guys, lol.

♥Rachel♥ Lol Jenn! Sounds good to me. ;)

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* Oh my god. I can't wait for this one! Is it as amazingly awesome as the first?

♥Rachel♥ It is! But it's a really emotional read. I'm getting back to it tomorrow. Had to put it aside to finish Reflected in You.

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* That sounds awesome! I;m looking forward to your review Rachel! :)

message 12: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Is it as good as shatter me? I really want to get to this soon

message 13: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder OMG!!!!! You are very lucky. Can't wait to see what you think of this book.

♥Rachel♥ Mary wrote: "Is it as good as shatter me? I really want to get to this soon"

Yes, Mary but it's really emotional and heartbreaking too.

Thanks Kristina. I'm about half way now. Put it to the side to finish my SMC book. Now picking it back up. :)

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn Oh boy, I wasn't expecting an emotional read. Crazy. I'm excited to read this.

♥Rachel♥ I wasn't either. Picking this back up now. :)

message 17: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder Oh no. I still can't wait to read it though. Loved Adam in the first one.

message 18: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder Team Adam all the way!!! LOL

♥Rachel♥ Me too, Kristina! I'm totally Team Adam.

message 20: by Brandie (new)

Brandie Awesome review!! I can't wait to read this one.

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Brandie! (view spoiler)

message 22: by Dija (new) - added it

Dija Great review, Rachel! I'm still really anxious about the love triangle though. Like always, I don't get the point to it AT ALL.

♥Rachel♥ Dija wrote: "Great review, Rachel! I'm still really anxious about the love triangle though. Like always, I don't get the point to it AT ALL."

Thanks Dija. I can' wait to see what you think of this. You know me, I'm not a fan of love triangles at all either. This one really confuses the heck out of me. It's just in a tough situation all the way around. I wish it was just all about Adam (love him!) but I guess we need a little uncertainty to up the interest. I'm still Team Adam. He's the best choice for her but there are some complications that needs to be resolved.

message 24: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Awesome, awesome review I can't wait to read it

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Mary, you're so sweet! I still need to read Destroy Me! It just came out a few days ago and it's from Warner's POV! I think it's almost 200 pages which is nice for an inbetween book.

message 26: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Snyder I am glad you are still Team Adam. I won't have to worry so much now.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Rachel! I just bought Shatter Me this weekend, so I will be back to read this review. I’m not looking—can’t look yet! Running away…must resist! :D

♥Rachel♥ You haven't read Shatter Me?! Oh man, prepare for awesomeness! :)

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura haha...I have heard! :) I can't wait, but it might have to for a little bit anyway. I am in zombie book heaven right now! *grins ear to ear* Unfed arrived yesterday! Yay!

message 30: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Oh i need to get cracking on this, but its not up on amazon yet, I need to practice patience

♥Rachel♥ Laura, I got that one too! Are you going to read it right away?

I know, Mary. I was lucky enough to attend a conference that had the ARC. I'm still giddy just thinking about it. :)

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura I had already started …The Enemy. Another kickass zombie series. Depends on how the Enemy goes, but I want to read Unfed sometime this week. It looks like a zombie week with a bit of smut on the side! Haha...

message 33: by Dija (new) - added it

Dija ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Dija wrote: "Great review, Rachel! I'm still really anxious about the love triangle though. Like always, I don't get the point to it AT ALL."

Thanks Dija. I can' wait to see what you think of this..."

I get all that, I really do, but is it too much to ask for conflict outside of the love interests? Love triangles are just so irritating now, and I really didn't want this series to take that road. And as far as I'm concerned, there only IS one team. XD

Bethany Did read that right, you can't pick between Adam and Warner? That has me really wondering what he could have done to make you like him. I can't to find out myself! Does this end in a cliffhanger?

message 35: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary 131 days to release

♥Rachel♥ Mary wrote: "131 days to release"

I know it's a while! But the book after that comes out in November, not a full year wait for book 3! Yay! :)

Jasprit Yay for the 5 stars Rachel! I will have a proper read over this once I've had the chance to get to, but I'm glad visiting a ALA a day before your vacation paid off! :)

Kristy AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am so jealous right now!!!! I can't wait for some "intense" moments!!! Lucky girl :)

♥Rachel♥ Jasprit wrote: "Yay for the 5 stars Rachel! I will have a proper read over this once I've had the chance to get to, but I'm glad visiting a ALA a day before your vacation paid off! :)"

I know, Jasprit. This book and Stealing Parker were the main reason I went. :). Hope you like this when you pick it up. Can't wait to see what you think.

message 40: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Mafi's writing really is captivating. I remember falling in love with it in the first book. :) Also, is it just me or were there few strike-throughs in this book? Either that or I just didn't notice them as much...

♥Rachel♥ Kristy wrote: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am so jealous right now!!!! I can't wait for some "intense" moments!!! Lucky girl :)"

There were quite a few Kristy! You won't be disappointed! :)

♥Rachel♥ Sam wrote: "Mafi's writing really is captivating. I remember falling in love with it in the first book. :) Also, is it just me or were there few strike-throughs in this book? Either that or I just didn't notic..."

Sam, her writing is captivating. I think there were fewer strike-throughs. Did they bother you in the first or this one, Sam?

message 43: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Not really, surprisingly enough. It's the sort of thing that I would expect to drive me insane, but it didn't. :) It took a little while to get used to in the first book but I liked the use of it by the end.

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* Wow, your review makes this sound amazing! I can't believe there's a chance I might switch to Team Warner. A great review Rachel! I am so totally pumped.

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Aimen. I can't wait to see what you think of Warner after reading this. So I take it you're solidly Team Adam?

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* ALL.THE.WAY. :)

Only my library needs to get this one so waiting patiently is hanging on a cliff right now...

♥Rachel♥ Did you read Destroy Me yet?

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* No, I didn't. But I really want to read that too! How'd you read this earlier than the publication date? I'd totally be up for that :)

♥Rachel♥ I got it from a book convention, the ALA. They held one at the end of June not far from where I live. :)

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* Oh, lucky! I cannot express how jealous I am right now. But in a good way ;)

« previous 1