AtenRa's Reviews > Onyx

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: ya-fiction, paranormal, aliens
Read in August, 2012

Pros The fight/action scenes were badass and the story in general was really interesting-probably saved the whole book for me.

This is a quote from the book:
Katy : "But no matter how I tried to get into the book I was reading, it wasn't working. Half of it was the book. It had insta-love, the bane of my existence. Girl sees boy and falls in love […]"
As far as self sarcasm goes, she totally nailed it! I really hope Armentrout wrote this on purpose. Otherwise, it's just awkward.

Cons I am definitely not a prude, but is it me or the make out sessions in YA have become way more sensual than they used to be? It's almost like as long as the girl and the boy don't have sex, everything else is fair game. Really? That's YA? Hm.

What happened to Katy's mother? Talk about awesome parenting skills. She is nowhere to be seen. Or maybe Katy is too tormented by her eternal love for Daemon to pay any attention to her poor mother. Could be.

The macho/territorial stuff were boring, incredibly outdated and unbelievably annoying, and because the book was long they went on and on and on, to a point when even the most dedicated fan will be forced to put the book down. I personally don't care for guys who are keen on demonstrating their tremendous masculinity every hour of every day. Protect the ones you love and you think are in danger, by all means. You don't have to be such a douche about it, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Onyx.