Dirk Grobbelaar's Reviews > Servants of the Wankh

Servants of the Wankh by Jack Vance

Jun 03, 2013

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction
Read from December 05 to 12, 2011

This is turning out to be a good series. A very, very good series. Looking for a futuristic fantasy adventure reminiscent of the pulps, but with an uneasy bent? Look no further.

The story continues where City of the Chasch left off. Reith hasn’t found a way off Tschai yet, and his search for a solution to this particular problem takes up the bulk of the plot, although there are some other titbits that will occupy the reader’s mind. In here you will find stabbing, back-stabbing and grand theft auto of a space-shippy nature interspersed with some splendidly dry and witty dialogue, weird aliens, even weirder humans, or human derivatives, and truly exotic locations. The motley crew of henchmen Reith has been accumulating since the first book is still a delight. There are one or two surprises, one at least which I did not see coming, as far as the characters are concerned. The world building is still great, as the characters visit areas on Tschai that were only hinted at in the first book. There are more than a few mysteries that remain unexplained – this of course adds to the mysticism of Tschai. Parts of the book undoubtedly read like a travelogue, but the world building is so unique that it is easy to forgive this and go along for the ride. All in all, a great read. Compulsory if you’re a fan of Vance, particularly his Dying Earth series.

I find these books entertaining to the point of being a guilty pleasure. Anything this good has to be bad for you. Fortunately Vance is such a good wordsmith that he pulls the whole thing off with nary a sweat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Servants of the Wankh.

12/07/2011 page 40

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

message 1: by David Sven (new)

David Sven I'm not sure I could take a book seriously with a typo in the title. Otherwise it reminds me of Australian politics.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Lmao

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark It is only now that I am older I recognise the English phrase in the title that does lead towards some giggling concerning some explicit language. Having read the book I am sure neither the writer of the publisher did recognise the phrase for what it could be construet as. Still a great book though.

message 4: by Esmeralda (new)

Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle You did! Oh good.