pauliree's Reviews > The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group by Catherine Jinks

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: audio-book, young-adult, urban-fantasy, read-in-2011
Read from December 05 to 16, 2011

This book certainly had its moments. After the first half of playground pranks and hijinks, once Toby loses his friends and has adventures in the werewolf world the book improves dramatically. His figuring out it is all true and admitting to himself he really is a werewolf is what started making th book interesting to me. I didn't read the first book in this series, so Rueben and Nina were strangers to me. I will be going back now to listen to the first book to see if knowing the sequel makes the first one better as I couldn't get into it the first time I tried reading it.

The one thing that annoyed me about this book, and I most likely wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been listening rather than reading it, was the constant use of 'nevertheless' and 'needless to say'. Those two were used quite often and after a while, needless to say, I got so sick of it. I am always of the opinion, that if you have to say 'needless to say' then you don't have to say it at all! Or just say it and let the reader decide if it is needless to say. Just one of my bugbears.

I did think that the author did the voice right for a 13 yo boy. She did a great job conveying the age of the narrator. I totally believed a young teen boy was narrating this. It's just a shame that the hottie on the cover wasn't actually in the book, unless it is Rueben??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group.

12/06/2011 "Well, this is a lot more juvenile than I was expecting. The narrator is doing a good job of sounding like a whiny teen boy of 13 but it is starting to grate on my nerves. I thought this might be a sexy werewolf tale but it looks like it is a whiny teen werewolf (finds out he is one and doesn't believe it for half the book) one"
60.0% "I still can't decide if I like this book. I am deriving great amusement from the voice talent and his efforts to put on an American accent, although the action is finally heating up. UP until now it has been boyish pranks and denial, but now there is a kidnapping, ooh, how shall our intrepid not so heroic hero get out of this?"
70.0% "Well, they have almost got themselves out of their fix without Toby even getting in any where near the danger I thought he would be in. He's talking about the other boy being such a whinger and then you find out he has been locked up by these people for 10 months. I think anyone is entitled to whinge after that amount of time. I think Toby is a selfish wanker, but then again, he is a 13 yo boy."
show 2 hidden updates…