Garland Vance's Reviews > The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix

The Church on the Other Side by Brian D. McLaren

Dec 05, 2011

bookshelves: d-min-reading, kindle, ministry
Read from December 05 to 07, 2011

I do not consider myself supportive of the emergent church movement, although I appreciate the sincere desires of those who are leading it who want to see God's kingdom come in our current postmodern world. Since McLaren helps to lead the emergent church movement, I. Fully expected this book to frustrate me. On the contrary, I found McLaren's chapters to be thought provoking and challenging, He writes very well and causes you to think about the challenges that the church is facing, He had a very winsome approach and says multiple times that the solution is not to throw out the baby with the bath water, i.e. neither getting rid of all thing modern nor utterly disregarding the effects of postmodernism.
He does a very good job demonstrating the positive effects of postmodernism and how the church can engage people because of those effects. He upholds the importance of the history of the church while emphasizing the need to look toward the future.
So I do not consider this book an emergent church book. Rather, it is a book that asks good questions and helps the body of Christ think through potential new practices which might help in the current age of the world in which we live. I would highly recommend it to pastors and ministry leaders as a fairly quick read that wi ll leave them wrestling with questions about how ministry might look differently in the 21st century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Church on the Other Side.